GTA IV on new pro's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by valiechemicalie, Jan 1, 2009.

1. valiechemicalie macrumors member

Is it possible?
    The new GTA askes a lot of power

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I run it on mine in FULL graphics settings and it works like a charm, no jittering, no problems at all

3. lscangus macrumors 6502

are you sure? FULL?

4. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

GTA IV mainly requires CPU power. From the benchmarks I've seen on desktop graphics cards, a 9800GT is only a couple of frames per second slower than a GTA 280, so the 9600M GT shouldn't be that far behind either. The MBP CPU is quite fast, I've tried the game on a P8400 and it runs it at 35-40 fps, so expect similar performance from a MBP.

By the way the game won't let you set everything on full unless you have 1 GB of graphics memory. With 512 MB GDDR3 texture details only go up to medium.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Actually i think you'll find using a Macbook Pro with Windows Vista installed and using the graphics cards in hybrid sli its possible to get the maxiumum graphical settings in GTA IV :) So yes im sure FULL!
    :apple:

6. valiechemicalie thread starter macrumors member

will it run on the baseline pro?
    and how good/bad will it run?
    because this is 1 of the most demanding games out there so if the baseline will run it alright it will run al the other games i like good or better

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First off the MBPs have a 9600M—this M moniker means it's stripped and low performing to allow for better cooling. Now the 9800GT AKA rebranded 8800GT has 112 Stream processors while the 9600GT only has 32. That's like saying a Ferrari 430 is the same power and performance as a Honda Accord.

Sure for regular usage sure. You're driving local roads, both cars are the same. You're playing regular games, both cars are the same, but when your on the autobahn or playing that graphic intensive game, the 9800GT will smoke your 9600M GT.

Of course that said, GTA IV is a really poor port to the PC, so therefore no matter what card you have, you may still suffer from poor performance.

8. smokedog macrumors regular

Can Vista detect both cards? I'm using XP and its only showing the 9600.

9. kasakka macrumors 65816

I would assume it won't run very well. Even my 3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM and 8800GT 512MB doesn't run it that great in 1920x1080. It's very playable but obviously slightly sluggish. At lower resolution the performance stays very much the same, only there's less popping up scenery because the graphics card's memory isn't taxed as much.

GTA IV in my opinion requires at least a 3 GHz Core 2 Duo or Quad and preferably a graphics card with 1 GB memory. It's really just a poorly done port. For example Crysis has 3x sharper textures, higher polygon models and so on yet it still runs much better. There's something wrong with GTA IV because it's totally CPU limited it seems.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its not CPU limited its just not multi core enabled which is why it would play just as well on any Dual Core Processor, forget quad core, it would probably run slower on a quad because theyre clock speeds arnt as high at the moment.

Both XP and Vista can detect both cards but you need to install the correct software and drivers from the Nvidia website :)

Enjoy.

11. rukus macrumors member

it seems that guy is the only person in the world to have that capability

12. twstokes macrumors newbie

twstokes

Benchmark test: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/&menu=browser&image_id=947488&article_id=669595&page=1&show=original

The Q6600 @ 2.4GHz beat an E8400 @ 3.0GHz.

I have this game on my Q6600 PC. At this point in time, it would take one heck of a machine to play it with all settings maxed out. If I have to set my PC conservatively for this game, there's no way my MBP is going to handle it better.

13. dnjmarlboro macrumors member

I never heard of any Person that was able to use both GPUs in Hybrid SLI (in Windows of course)

14. lscangus macrumors 6502

Let a real person with a real PC GTA4 and a real MBP say something

It runs okay with 1280X800, setting is High High 20-20-80-1

U know what i am talking about when you got the game.

So it runs fine. But apparently someone in GTA Net Forum got a trick to reduce the reflection texture resolution. And it can run at Max resolution. 1440X900

15. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Per my understanding part of nvidia's hybrid sli technology is about power management (e.g., switching between video cards to maximize power or battery savings as needed) while the other part, GeForce Boost, is about enhancing performance, which does not work with 9400M/9600M GTs. Is this correct? If so, it is not going to give you any better performance.

OpenCL should be a lot more exciting as far as enhancing overall h/w performance goes.

16. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

linky please?

17. lscangus macrumors 6502

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ooo. Me like. Must now try.

19. lscangus macrumors 6502

overclock the GPU does helps a lot. As well as CPU. Go to nvidia download Nvidia System Tools 6.03

20. RKpro macrumors 6502

I beat single player missions in medium settings and medium resolution, don't remember what it was (just over 1000 by something), on win xp, with video drivers from laptopvideo2go.com. It was a pretty good experience, but it gets a bit choppy when you drive very fast in rainy weather.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah thanks, but I'd rather not play the game than risk killing my computer prematurely.

22. lscangus macrumors 6502

U think overclocking the FSB and display card will kill your computer?

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I doubt full, even the top of the line gaming rigs cant handle GTA IV in Max settings.

24. Glueeater macrumors regular

Done properly it won't KILL it. But it will shorten your life.

25. Ploki macrumors 68000

there is the simplest command to unblock the restrictions.

oh, and it does utilize multicore. (i run it on the MP)