Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crankeymankey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
Hi,

does anyone know if GTA IV gets ever released on a OS X? I have tried Boot Camp or other Windows emulators but without any success. I have a Mac Book Pro Retina 15" and I think it would work pretty well on it.

Are there any information about a release from Rockstar??

Thanks

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
A Mac port of GTA IV is not going to happen. Besides, the Windows version is a terrible port that runs poorly even on high-end notebooks.
Really? I have a late 2009 vanilla MB that has lower specs than the latest MBA, and it runs decently with lowest settings + lowest resolution (800x600) and a view distance of 17.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
it runs decently with lowest settings + lowest resolution (800x600) and a view distance of 17.

Define "decently." A steady 30 fps? Even still, you're very much in the minority if you're OK with playing a game on a PC with worse visual quality than its console counterpart. More power to you all the same if you are.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
They probably won't release it. I'm still waiting for a San Andreas port for iOS...

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
Define "decently." A steady 30 fps? Even still, you're very much in the minority if you're OK with playing a game on a PC with worse visual quality than its console counterpart. More power to you all the same if you are.
By decently, I mean it goes close to 30 after I get the HDD spinning. It's not exactly 30, but it's by all means playable.

crankeymankey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
Is Boot Camp the best way to run GTA IV or are there any other emulators? I tried to install Boot Camp but always get stuck at this damn blink cursor after Windows 7 Installation reboots... :mad:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Is Boot Camp the best way to run GTA IV or are there any other emulators? I tried to install Boot Camp but always get stuck at this damn blink cursor after Windows 7 Installation reboots... :mad:

You don't install Boot Camp; it's a program that lets you install Windows, and yes, Windows is the only way you'd be able to run it.

The blinking cursor issue usually results from having a flash drive or some type of storage device plugged into a USB port during install. If you let it sit long enough, Windows will eventually boot. The program usually goes away once you've installed the Windows support software you downloaded either through Boot Camp Assistant or directly from Apple.

crankeymankey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
You don't install Boot Camp; it's a program that lets you install Windows, and yes, Windows is the only way you'd be able to run it.

The blinking cursor issue usually results from having a flash drive or some type of storage device plugged into a USB port during install. If you let it sit long enough, Windows will eventually boot. The program usually goes away once you've installed the Windows support software you downloaded either through Boot Camp Assistant or directly from Apple.

Thank you for the advice. Windows started once after maybe 20 minute but after I rebooted I had the same problem again. I'll try it again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.