Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duderman67

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
GTA 5 on 15" Retina Macbook Pro

I have already played around 20-30 hours on my 15" Macbook Pro Retina late 2013 (2.3GHz i7, 16GB RAM, GT 750m) and want to say that GTA 5 runs very smoothly on it. I played on 1080p and turned all settings on "normal", VSync On, anisotropic Off. It's not the ideal, of course, but you can run GTA on lower resolution (1440:900 or 1280:800) with some high graphic settings. To me, Full HD looks better even with not very good particle or shader qualities.

And I spotted one weird thing - in your first hour of playing FPS often goes down to 20-25, especially if you drive very fast or have a rain. But after 1-2 hours FPS becomes normal at all (30 or something) - I think, it works so due to more intensive RAM consumption (in first hours the game used about 4-5 GB but after that it consumed 7 or 8 GB).

P.S. And don't forget about downloading a new GeForce driver for GTA 5, if you have a Nvidia video card!

Last edited:

Apple Pie 2.0

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
I have already played around 20-30 hours on my 15" Macbook Pro Retina late 2013 (2.3GHz i7, 16GB RAM, GT 750m) and want to stay that GTA 5 runs very smoothly on it. I played on 1080p and turned all settings on "normal", VSync On, anisotropic Off. It's not the ideal, of course, but you can run GTA on lower resolution (1440:900 or 1280:800) with some high graphic settings. To me, Full HD looks better even with not very good particle or shader qualities.

And I spotted one weird thing - in your first hour of playing FPS often goes down to 20-25, especially if you drive very fast or have a rain. But after 1-2 hours FPS becomes normal at all (30 or something) - I think, it works so due to more intensive RAM consumption (in first hours the game used about 4-5 GB but after that it consumed 7 or 8 GB).

P.S. And don't forget about downloading a new GeForce driver for GTA 5, if you have a Nvidia video card!

So I have the 2012 650m rmbp model, but I have very mixed results. At first the game runs incredibly smooth capped at 30 fps (VSync on half), 1920x1200, normal settings with FXAA on and normal settings for the rest. But soon throttling (GPU clock from 900mhz to 725) kicks in and ruins the gameplay completely with FPS drops and the like. I've been trying to fiddle with ThrottleStop, which was partly succesful, until I upgraded the Nvidia drivers from 347 to 350..

Are you running any throttlestop, or is your game continuously at 30fps stock already?

Last edited:

duderman67

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
So I have the 2012 650m rmbp model, but I have very mixed results. At first the game runs incredibly smooth capped at 30 fps (VSync on half), 1920x1200, normal settings with FXAA on and normal settings for the rest. But soon throttling (GPU clock from 900mhz to 725) kicks in and ruins the gameplay completely with FPS drops and the like. I've been trying to fiddle with ThrottleStop, which was partly succesful, until I upgraded the Nvidia drivers from 347 to 350..

Are you running any throttlestop, or is your game continuously at 30fps stock already?

Nope, I didn't use any additional tricks. Without them for me GTA ran continuously at 30fps after 1 or 2 hours of playing (first time FPS could drop to 20-25 in some cases). Dunno what is your problem, maybe you should try to turn off FXAA.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006

Maybe heat? I have the game running with similar settings (pretty much the same as yours, but a lower resolution of 1440x900) on my 2012 rMBP, and it's smooth as silk for hours.

armut

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2014
Thanks dude, last night I turned crossfire off, with the last drivers before omega think they are 14.11. I can confirm that GTA 5 plays really well on a single D700, I've got everything maxed (2560x1440) apart from MSSA and shadow reflection. The game seems very well optimised! and lots of fun.
It would be amazing if crossfire worked as it runs so well with one card, two would be amazing.

I think in the future if AMD or apple don't get there ***** together I will try the workaround for the omega drivers. But for now Im happy f:)

Same thing here. When crossfire is disabled, game is running very well but if its enable then its lagging.
I hope apple will bring out new updates for graphic cards in nMP.

Doener

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Garphic glichtes with AMD Radeon cards

A lot of Mac users - including me - seem to have troubles with graphical glitches when running GTA V on a Boot Camp installation of Windows in combination with AMD Radeon graphic cards:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/611703709832480302/#p1

gtav.jpg

http://postimg.org/image/45yy8li7f/

Any ideas how to fix this?

Doener

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Wait for AMD to release a new GPU driver that's compatible with Boot Camp installations.

And you think this will happen soon? I already contacted AMD. They pointed at Apple:

Dear Stephan,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200633483]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

I understand that you have questions regarding GTA V for I mack notebook with HD6970M. Please confirm my understanding on your reported issue as this may change my response below.

We request you to please contact Apple for the latest driver update. The laptop manufacturer may customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook.

Please refer below link for Apple boot camp sotware for graphic driver for Win 8.1-64

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp

For windows 10 update information, please refer http://www.amd.com/en-us/solutions/software-partners/microsoft/windows

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Doener

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
I just deinstalled the whole AMD Catalyst package including the Boot Camp drivers and now everything runs smooth.

Fried Potato

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2015
Please tell me this is not what the support guy actually wrote... :eek:

Haha! I wouldn't be suprised... :D

By the way, isn't it possible to install the latest non-Bootcamp AMD drivers? I've actually bought myself a 1920x1080p monitor to use with my RiMac, although the game isn't performing that well. I've reduced all settings to medium/high and I still get about 59 fps jumping regularly down to 30> fps. Also, the textures are blurry, even on very high settings.

As I've mentioned before, I have a maxed RiMac, but it seems like people with worse specs than me play with better performance, even on higher settings.

Last edited:

Doener

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
I deinstalled the whole AMD Catalyst package including the Boot Camp drivers and now everything runs smooth.

CameronN

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2015
Hi Guys,

Is there anyway to play GTA 5 within OS X? I purchased the game day after launch as a was into minds as to whether I'd get annoyed at rebooting eveytime to play. I should of gone with my gut, YES! I played it for like 2 days. Is there anyway of getting a Virtual Machine or Wineskin to run this?

My system is a hackintosh -

CPU: INTEL I7 3770K
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti OC 2gb

Cheers

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Hi Guys,

Is there anyway to play GTA 5 within OS X? I purchased the game day after launch as a was into minds as to whether I'd get annoyed at rebooting eveytime to play. I should of gone with my gut, YES! I played it for like 2 days. Is there anyway of getting a Virtual Machine or Wineskin to run this?

My system is a hackintosh -

CPU: INTEL I7 3770K
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti OC 2gb

Cheers

Likely not yet, it's a new game and will not run smoothly in a virtualized environment. For all we know, though, we may be getting an OS X version at some point. Rockstar has shown a decent amount of love for OS X (and iOS) in the recent years, also Max Payne 3 which uses pretty much the same technology as GTA V has been officially brought to OS X, so here's hoping :)

actasci

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
my early 2011 17'' mbp with 6750m (overclocked to 800/950) can play this game at 1440x900 with medium settings (i even thrown some eye candy like fxaa, antisotrophic filter etc). even though its 1gb vram -which is creating some bottleneck- it seems like my oldster still have some tricks under its unibody :)

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Rockstar has shown a decent amount of love for OS X (and iOS) in the recent years, also Max Payne 3 which uses pretty much the same technology as GTA V has been officially brought to OS X, so here's hoping :)

Wasn't that a wrapped version of the windows game ?

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Wasn't that a wrapped version of the windows game ?
I wouldn't know. I just know it is an official port from Rockstar and it ran very well for me.
Some of the wrapper technology, especially when the developer can tinker with the original game code a little, seems to have matured nicely. The recent official Metal Gear Rising port is a wrapped game and it plays and performs very well.

GiLLER

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Max Payne 3 was wrapped in TransGaming's Cider software and had quite many bugs to start with, but when it ran it ran quite well (I almost completed the game on my old Macbook Pro 17")

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
So far, with Xfire enabled, using Omega drivers, I've been able to run the following games:

- World of Warcraft
- Diablo 3
- Dark Souls II (frames were topped to 60fps with and without Xfire anyway, so it didn't really matter, but it worked)
- Elite: Dangerous
- Elder Scrolls Online
- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
- Ryse: Son of Rome

Given Diablo 3 runs smooth as smooth can be on my lousy Mac Mini Intel 4000HD at my 24" monitor's native resolution in OSX Mavericks, I'm not sure what to draw from that comparison. I don't have the other games you listed, but I've had no trouble running Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel at high settings at only one notch below maximum resolution with that same lousy Intel GPU in OS X. The only newer game I'd really like to play is Dragon Age Inquisition, but apparently it won't run well even in Boot Camp at lower resolutions with a 4000 otherwise I see no compelling reason to build a gaming PC right now. It seems like the Intel GPUs are catching up for mid-range performance. Too bad they didn't offer a quad i7 Mini with the newer Intels. I think that's all I'd need for most games.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Given Diablo 3 runs smooth as smooth can be on my lousy Mac Mini Intel 4000HD at my 24" monitor's native resolution in OSX Mavericks, I'm not sure what to draw from that comparison. I don't have the other games you listed, but I've had no trouble running Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel at high settings at only one notch below maximum resolution with that same lousy Intel GPU in OS X. The only newer game I'd really like to play is Dragon Age Inquisition, but apparently it won't run well even in Boot Camp at lower resolutions with a 4000 otherwise I see no compelling reason to build a gaming PC right now. It seems like the Intel GPUs are catching up for mid-range performance. Too bad they didn't offer a quad i7 Mini with the newer Intels. I think that's all I'd need for most games.

You should not build a gaming PC (or buy another Mac with a dedicated gpu) if the games you play run smoothly. After all, it's all about having fun with a game. This could wait for later, so you can built a machine only when you really need it, with the h/w available by that time, otherwise it will be a waste of money.

My list of games was just a reply to another Mac Pro user about how well some games work under crossfire, according to my experience. For what is worth, if I had to build a gaming PC now, I wouldn't take the crossfire/sli route, but I'd choose a single strong gpu.

matt3526

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
my early 2011 17'' mbp with 6750m (overclocked to 800/950) can play this game at 1440x900 with medium settings (i even thrown some eye candy like fxaa, antisotrophic filter etc). even though its 1gb vram -which is creating some bottleneck- it seems like my oldster still have some tricks under its unibody :)

Turn the res down a bit and you might be able to play with high settings

actasci

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Turn the res down a bit and you might be able to play with high settings

6750m's vram is not enough to handle this game on high. i can turn shader and textures to high but it's a serious impact to the performance.

this is sweet spot really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.