GTA V On Iris Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SuperKerem, May 24, 2015.

1. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I have a mid 2014 rMBP 15', base model.
    Therefore it has Iris Pro graphics, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and a Quad 2.2 GHz i7.
    I am currently using Bootcamp to dual boot Windows 8.1, and am wondering if I should buy GTA 5 on Steam. Will it be able to achieve medium-level graphics at a stable 30 FPS? What about resolution?

I currently own the X360 and XOne versions of the game, and the reason I want to get it on my MBP is so I can game while travelling etc. GTA 5 is my favourite game and basically the only game I play nowadays.

Please let me know what I can expect and how the game will perform in comparison to the two Xbox versions!

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm not sure if this will help but I loaded GTA V on my surface pro 2 (that I am selling for the 2015mbp 15) and it was rough. It had 4200 graphics so yours would be a little bit faster but it could pull a steady 25FPS and the lowest possible settings and resolution. It was playable, and at 10 inchs it didn't look that bad, but GTA V is a resource hog.

3. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Hmm... I'm wondering if 30 FPS with a 1440x900 resolution (exactly a quarter of the pixels 1:1 scale) on medium graphics would be possible...

4. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I've seen that video, but it doesn't show any actual gameplay and doesn't specify which exact graphical settings are being used! :confused:

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

GTA has always been a resource hog ever since it made the jump to 3D (though IV was the WORST offender).

Here's what GTA V looks like on the Iris Pro 5200 on a Mid-2014 MBP.

It will be playable, but at a PS360/sub level.

If you're fine with sub 30fps and low/normal then it should be fine. If you can't handle that (I personally can) then I'd recommend upgrading or dropping the $$$ on a console/Steam Machine.

6. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

7. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

8. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Hehe, few months ago I built myself a GTX 980 Ti gaming beast PC, so I don't need to worry about it anymore. 4K @ 60fps!