GTA V on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Archie07, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Archie07 macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    This must be boring already, but I will still ask this as I know its possible to play GTA V on a Mac using Parallels, so is there anyone doing it already and if I can play it on my macbook pro 13' (Early 2015), 2.7Ghz i5, 8GB 1867MHz, Intel Iris 6100 (1536MB) .. at least on average settings?
    Will be using external screen.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My experience in playing games, especially contemporary ones, through a vm has not been good, regardless of how much resources it has.

You're better off to run them in a Boot Camp configuration so the game has native access to the hardware.

3. Archie07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, can you tell, if the graphics are bad or if the game is lagging?

How much space I should allocate for Windows using bootcamp?
    I have just 250gb, but I have 80gb available easily...

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I suppose it depends on the game you're playing and its vintage. I was able to play Command & Conquer: Tiberian Wars in a VM just fine. Of course, that's a much older game and its hardware requirements weren't that great.

Recently, I tried playing Armored Warfare and Battlefield 4 in a VM, with the hardware specs as high as I could get them on my MBP and they were essentially unplayable because the lag was so bad. AW was so bad, it took forever to load just the first part of the game - even before I got to actual game play.

As for the size of your Boot Camp partition, it really depends on how much space you think you'll need. How many games do you plan on installing and how much space do they need? Get a good estimate of that and you will know what you need. I think 250 GB would be a good start, if not more than enough. Again, it just depends on your needs.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The Minimum specs for GTA V include a 2GB desktop graphics card so I'd be surprised if it runs at all.

6. Archie07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing. The game is 60gb, so I guess 80gb will be enough. I don't plan anything else besides gta :)

I know the game runs on even lower graphics on older mac's too. Just how well, of course. If you think its not worth it, then I would understand. As so far getting Windows on the Mac will be my major issue, since I will have to buy it and mount it on ISO, without a CD/DVD player... So, if that would be worth doing it...