GTA4 Freezes when launching on Late 08 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ryannazaretian, Dec 24, 2009.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I just bought GTA4 for my Late 2008 MacBook Pro (Specs Below) yesterday. It finally finished downloading, and when I launch it, it freezes my computer.

"Hmm..," I say, but then I force shut it down and restart.

I launch it again, and it freezes instantly like it did before.

All the drivers are updated, and I'm using Bootcamp running Windows 7 64bit. I searched and saw that others were playing just fine. Was there something I need to install first? I believe Steam pushed the updates to the game already before I even downloaded it.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can try updating the DirectX manually. But beyond that... I'm not sure. I run GTA4 on my MacBook Air and it runs OKAY

3. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I still haven't figured it out. My next step is reinstalling Windows.

I've reinstalled .NET 3.5, all my graphics drivers, audio driver, chipset drivers. I set the audio back to 16bit 44100Hz. I even tried loading the game in Safe Mode with Networking just to get it to launch. I redownloaded the game as well. No such luck...

So, I'm left with reinstalling Windows 7 to hopefully get rid of some funky software bug.

If I still cannot get it running, then I'm looking at a 9600 failure. I have the Windows freeze on my laptop randomly, but have so far kept it at bay using Timur's advice. GTA4 instantly freezes the system. It's not heat, it's not a modded driver. Something bad is going on for a game to instantly lock up a computer with such a rock solid as Windows 7 that has never given me trouble in the past.