Gtalk app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ennui84, May 11, 2009.

1. ennui84 macrumors newbie

ennui84

Is there a way to download Gtalk to the phone? I want an actual application not that web based thing they have.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't think they'll release one until the notification system is available to everyone. You can add a launch button to your phone for Google Talk by clicking on the add bookmark button in Safari though and it shows up and looks like a normal app at least.

3. ennui84 thread starter macrumors newbie

ennui84

darn, I really like the app I have for my Blackberry and was hoping the iPhone had one too.

Could you recommend a good chat client where I can add all of my IMs on?

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Not personally. The only IM I use on my iPhone is the web based Google Talk. I'm sure they will come out with a native application for 3.0 though.

5. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

BeejiveIM has Gtalk and all the other major IM clients. It is currently the best All in One app that the iPhone has imo. Worth every single penny.

6. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

After the 3.0 is out everything will work better.

I am almost positive apple and probably google, will not create an app for instant messaging, mainly because there are so many other universal clients.

You could buy anything from Beejive IM for $15, to Nimbuzz which is free. Most of these applications even support VoIP. If you want a good idea search for "IM client" or "google talk" in the App store.

Personally, I am waiting for the 3.0 to become public before spending money on any IM clients. Just to be sure I get one with push notifications.

7. spikedfo macrumors regular

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

All IM applications suck at the moment since you can't run any programs in the background

I have my laptop and desktop for my IM needs until the feature is fixed by apple.

9. bina12834 macrumors regular

the google app has gtalk in it, but you have to leave the app open to use it.