GTECH Raid ??? confused

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluap84, Mar 9, 2011.

1. bluap84 macrumors 6502

right lads been looking at a G-Tech Raid... i fancy the 2TB one.

but whats confusing me is...are they selling it as 2tb worth of space. OOOOR 1tb of space with 1tb for RAID?

or is it 2TB space and 2TB raid?

i hope im making sense.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Just for clarification about RAID levels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

The drive highly likely has to 1TB drives in a RAID0, resulting in 2TB of usable space. I don't know this unit, but other two drive RAID units can also be configured as RAID1 (mirrored set = 1TB usable) or JBOD (2TB usable).

I also don't know the interfaces the unit offers. If it has only USB2 or FW and you want 2TB usable space, a single drive unit (one 2TB drive) generally is the better option. They are for once cheaper and the failure rate is only 50% compared to a striped array.

3. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

this is what im looking at the GTech Raid they have USB / FW400 / FW800 - i would of thought they would of been set up with Raid 1?

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Seems as it the unit doesn't support any other RAID mode than 0. So the overall capacity is the disc size times 2 (2TB for 2 1TB drives etc.).

However, if you don't use the eSATA interface, a 2TB RAID0 is a waste of money since a single drive alone can saturate the other available interfaces.
    If you need a larger volume (4TB or 6TB) it's ok, but for 2TB I recommend a single hard drive. As I said before it will be just as fast over FW or USB and has half the failure rate of a 2 drive RAID0.

5. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

ah ok thanks for the info dude..ill just get a 2TB Fw800 drive. And back it up myself to my NAS / Server.