GTX 285 Mac Edition in MacPro 1,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maury, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Maury macrumors 6502

The 8800GT in my Mac Pro 1,1 just died. I'm back up with the 7300 for now.

Can I adapt the EVGA's GeForce GTX 285 Mac Edition for use? It comes with the cables, and I more than willing to pay the extra $$$ to save myself hunting around for parts.

I'm also a bit confused about the 4870 upgrade. Does the Apple version work out of the box on my 1,1? If so, maybe that's the way to go for now?

Maury

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Buy a PC 285gtx and use 7300 as efi initializer. thread is on first page. search function is good too

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yes, the Radeon 4870 Mac Edition is 100% compatible with the MacPro1,1 right out of the box! GO with this and you won't have any trouble with flashing ROMs to get it to work, etc. Just look at these graphics card threads with their thousands of posts of people having problem after problem getting their PC graphic cards to work with the Mac OS. Most people have had little to no success with these cards after numerous attempts and countless frustration. You would be best just going with the 4870 -- out of the box, it works, no problems. Just make sure you get the Mac edition and not a PC card.