GTX 285 or ATI HD4870 for Final Cut & Motion

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by morphball, Oct 28, 2009.

1. morphball macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I apologize if a similar topic has already been posted, I haven't been able to find anything specifically for this situation. I posted another thread a couple of weeks ago because my Mac Pro has been freezing, I have narrowed the problem down to the graphics card and hence am going to replace it (it's and 8800GT) and I'm looking at either the GTX 285 or the ATI 4870.

I haven't been able to find any specific information on them in relation to Final Cut Studio, which is primarily what I use, mainly Final cut and Motion. Out of these two cards which do you think would be the better option? It's an early '08 Mac Pro, 2.8 Ghz, 8GB ram.

I found this version of the 4870 on ebay, but I wasn't aware the !GB version was available for Macs and so was wondering if it's legit or not, or whether it would have driver issues etc.

So I can either get it for $400 or I can get the GTX 285 for about $550. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

The 4870 will perform better for Pro Apps. The 1 GB card is legit in the sense that it works, but it's a flashed PC card, so it will only have one dual link port and it will not support VGA. It also will use two DVI ports instead of Mini Display Port. We've got a huge thread about flashing PC 4870s if you want to save money and do it yourself; thanks to the tireless efforts of many members, it's now far easier than ever before.