GTX 285 power management tool

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 10THzMac, Sep 6, 2009.

1. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

Several threads here discuss GTX Power Management, performance and clock speed issues. The card has three states, 0.6,0.8 and 1.48GHz and the card will only go into 1.48 mode if kicked with 3D code. Some of us have been using the CUDA "teapot", AKA postprocessGL, to keep the card in fastest mode.

Now a bright spark over on nvidia forums has posted an applet that just draws some triangles and you draw as many as you need to keep the card (mostly) at your chosen level. The source is posted so you can play with it.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=106083&st=0&gopid=585668&#entry585668

Works great under Leopard, just checking under Snowie. Seems to take a lot less by way of resources than the teapot. :D

Edit: Snow Leopard is awaiting a Cuda compatibility fix, expected soon, so I will report back on SL

2. AppleWorking macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for that :)

3. 10THzMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Another thing about 285s: OpenCL

This is a slight distraction from the OP, but as this thread might attract 285 owners I will put it here. So I have got Snow Leopard up with a Mac 285 and an injected PC 285 with 2G RAM (the Palit card). I am using CoreVidia 1.1 to do the Snow Leopard injection, though I am sure netkas' tool is fine too.

1. OpenCL recognizes both cards fine
    2. The 2G of RAM on the Palit card is found (my injector is set to 1.5G, but that is probably cosmetic) and reported OK.
    3. oclinfo reports 3 devices under the OpenCL context, but not the PC card under the combined OpenCL+OpenGL context [?, why, consequences ?]
    4. More worrying is the double precision "yes" only appearing against my Intel CPU and NEITHER Mac nor PC 285.

Does anyone know about double precision under OpenCL on GPUs - this is bugging me as these cards are CUDA compute level 1.3 cards with dp support. Screen shot attached FYI. (OpenGL issue not shown)

This might be nit-picking - the idea of writing some code now to run on either the CPU or GPU is actually exciting, but I am still a bit stuck for good examples to steal ideas from!

Attached Files:

4. 10THzMac thread starter macrumors 6502

285 Power fixed in 10.6.2??

I wonder if anyone else can confirm this, but having got the latest 10.6.2 seed it looks like the GTX 285 power management has been modified. Under Cuda my card now seems to report 1.48 GHz reliably even having been idle for some time. The OpenGL Extensions Viewer Benchmark seems to take to moment to power up to full but is much higher on a first run of the 1.1 test.

Can anyone confirm this? I do not know if the card is just running powered up all the time (not very Green!) or whether its power-up response time has been sorted out (which would be good)

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'm having a heck of a time trying to login to the nvidia forums. Do you think you can mirror the file somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Edit:

The nvidia site is working again. Thanks.

6. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

This might be nit-picking - the idea of writing some code now to run on either the CPU or GPU is actually exciting, but I am still a bit stuck for good examples to steal ideas from![/QUOTE]

Go to developer.apple.com and sign up for the OS X developer account. There's plenty of OpenCL code samples! Enjoy

7. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya... Wink wink

8. 10THzMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Go to developer.apple.com and sign up for the OS X developer account. There's plenty of OpenCL code samples! Enjoy[/QUOTE]
    I think I said that several months ago before Nvidia released the 2.3a SDK which has many OpenCL examples and is helping me a lot, in addition to the Apple ones.