GTX 680 and LG 4K monitor -> no 60Hz?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mumux, Dec 16, 2018.

1. mumux macrumors newbie

mumux

Hello,

So I have this new 4K monitor, the LG 27UK650, a nice monitor, but I'm not able to make it work at 60Hz.
    The Mac Pro is a 3.1 with an Asus GTX 680 2Gb that I flashed months ago with the help of this post:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-pci-e-2-0-5gt-s.1603260/page-4#post-17832428

The problem I'm experiencing is that if I set the monitor Displayport to 1.2 the Mac does not boot at all.
    If Displayport 1.2 is disabled (working at 1.1 I guess) the Mac boots and of course I only get 30Hz.

I tried SwitchResX but 1080p @ 60Hz is not HiDPI (because of the Displayport setting).

Since both the GTX 680 and the monitor are supposed to work at 60Hz, what am I doing wrong?
    Should I send the monitor back?

Thank you

2. Fooze macrumors member

This might be a long shot, but have you tried any other display port cables? Maybe your cable is limiting the bandwidth.

3. mumux thread starter macrumors newbie

mumux

The cable I used is the one included with the 4K monitor so I guess it should't be the culprit.

4. Fooze macrumors member

That setup should work. I have an evga gtx680 and it’s working with a Dell 4k display.

By any chance do you have a Windows install you can boot into? See if it works there and then you’ll know it’s software issue and not hardware related.

5. mumux thread starter macrumors newbie

mumux

I don't have a bootcamp install, just parallels, but I had the chance to try a friend's GTX 680 (MSI not flashed) and it worked fine at 60Hz.
    No bootscreen until black screen with white apple (it's a High Sierra unsupported install) but I guess this is expected.

Then the cuprit seems to be the Mac ROM, any thoughts on that?

Thank you

6. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

The main benefit of the MacEFI is boot screens. However, there's no way to get 4K boot screen out of a GTX 680 anyway, flashed or not. So you might as well restore your original firmware if that fixes your other problem.

7. mumux thread starter macrumors newbie

mumux

4K boot screen worked @ 30Hz in my card.
    In normal operation, with a correctly working MacEFI, I would use 60Hz, but if I need boot screen, I could just set the monitor to DP 1.1 and reboot!

That's why I'd rather try to make it work correctly than look for a 2ᴺᴰ card with boot screen.