Gtx 680mx vs 650m gt

Discussion in 'iMac' started by raedov, Jun 3, 2013.

1. raedov macrumors newbie

hello guys

I wonder if there is a difference between Nvidia 650m 1GB in MacBook Pro Retina vs Nvidia 680MX 2GB in Imac 27 inch !

- Is there a big difference between them in performance for what i use Adobe Premiere - Adobe after effects - final cut pro - Adobe lightroom - Adobe Photoshop ?

I knew the most important for these programs is CPU and RAM? Am I wrong ? Will a graphics card make a difference for Rendering?

BTW It doesn't matter for me the price or if i get the MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch or Imac 27 inch.

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The 680MX is *significantly* more powerful than the 650M in the retina MBP.

For most desktop programs you're not going to see this difference though - the CPU is the most important thing there. For software that does take advantage of GPU power (like CUDA processing etc) then the 680MX is going to be much stronger.

For Photoshop, the CPU will be your limiting factor (assuming the RAM you get is the same - both rMBP and iMac come with 8GB standard which should be plenty, but more can never hurt and it's a snap to add it to the iMac. You can put in another 8 GB (and more) cheaply and easily.