GTX 750TI on Mavericks?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by matty1551, Apr 24, 2014.

1. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I know many PC based GTX cards are compatible with Mavericks but have not been able to find a concrete list of them anywhere.

I would like to upgrade my 06 Pro to Mavs and am looking to purchase a PNY Gtx 750ti. It seems to be the best bang for the buck in my price range. ($150 Max)

Is this card "compatible" with Mavericks? If the card is a no go, can you recommend another card in my price range?

2. matty1551 thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI, If my class lets out in time I will be purchasing one tonight and will test it out for ya'll. Will definitely report back my results.

Till then, if anyone knows anything about the compatibility of these please chime in.

3. Studio K macrumors 6502

Studio K

I doubt that the GTX 750 will work in OS X at this moment. It's the new 'Maxwell' card and, as of now, there are no Macs using a Maxwell GPU.

Once Apple releases a Mac with a Maxwell card, then OS X will likely support the 750ti. That may be months away, however.

4. matty1551 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, this is disappointing. Was reading in a hack pro forum how someone had bought one and tested it with the 10.9.3 beta and wasnt supported. Looks like I'll be going another direction. :(

5. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

I wouldn't be so sure. The release notes for the Latest CUDA 6.0.37 reads as follows:

So why CUDA support Maxwell and the Web Driver not? I really don't know the answer, but I would find it strange that Nvidia would support Maxwell in CUDA and not support it in the Web Driver that was released after the release of the latest of the CUDA Driver..

Lou

6. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

7. leman macrumors 604

Well, references to Maxwell GPUs have existed in OS X drivers since early beta of Mavericks. I don't think that anyone knows how functional these are nevertheless. Netkas is probably the person to ask (I know that he writes on these forums sometimes).

8. MacVidCards Suspended

I keep a GTX750 around and toss it even every other update or so.

Still a black screen beauty.