Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enny001

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Hi guys i have mac pro 2009 and gtx 770 is it possible to overclock this card under mac pro osx el capitan this card has separate power source. Now i was thinking if i install windows overclock it in windows using software will overclock keep when booting in to OSX

Thanks guys

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You have to modify the firmware, flash the OCed ROM back to the card to maintain the OC in OSX.

Software OC may store the setting for you, which allows you to keep the OC when boot back into Windows, but it won't maintain anything in the hardware, so once reboot to OSX, you lost the OC setting.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
The GTX 770 needs 230 Watt, just at the limit of what the Mac Pro can support (around 3 * 75 Watt)

Therefore overclocking is not a good idea. Just my opinion.

The GTX 770 has a 6 pin and a 8 pin power connector, booth are needed for the 230 Watt tdp, and not optional.

Only the MVC version support two 6 pin cables: http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/my-...tops-during-boot-and-then-crashes-and-reboots

I quote: When there is a 6 pin and an 8 pin, things get more complicated. On many GTX680 cards the 8 pin is "optional". This means you can plug in a 6 pin and the card works fine. For many GTX770 and GTX780 cards we do a mod to the card that creates this same functionality. So you can just plug in the 2 @ 6 pin cables and it should boot right up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Sorry, just saw that your card has has separate power source.

Last edited:

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
FWIW I run an EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked with AC cooler in a Mid-2010 Mac Pro with the 6-pin and 6-pin to 8 pin simultaneously connected and have never seen any problems with it for like 6 months now, it worked straight from the get go with the nVidia web drivers installed. It was a steal from EVGA's B-stock for about $170..

It's been in continuous use as a CUDA based number cruncher for some distributed projects (SETI, Folding, Einstein) and occasional graphics testing (some assorted Steam stuff) but TBQH it's never been used in a prolonged gaming session.

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Use the Kepler bios tweaker along with nvflash in Windows to set your overclock. Once flashed this will also hold in OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.