GTX 970 and GT 120 under Win 7 = Fail

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chocomonsters, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Chocomonsters, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

Chocomonsters macrumors regular

I was able to run GTX 970 and old Apple GT 120 (for boot screen) under Win 7 up to 340.52 Windows driver. I was unable to update to GeForce 344.11 Windows driver as support for GeForce 9 series (Apple GT 120) is dropped.

I can run GTX 970 and Apple GT 120 under Yosemite fine without any problem (Thank you Nvidia for 343.01.01f01 web driver).

Unfortunately, I am unable to run both GTX 970 and Apple GT 120 under Win 7 as GTX 970 requires at least 344.11 or 344.16 driver which no longer supports GT 120. Unlike Old XP which supported two separate drivers for two separate video cards, Win 7 wants to assign one driver for both video cards.

Now it seems that I have to either ditch GT 120 and forgo boot screen. Or get Apple AMD EFI card just for boot screen.

Am I missing simple solution?

2. MacVidCards Suspended

We will hopefully be offering a GTX970/980 EFI card in next few months. Until then, we have a GT640 already available with boot screens. And as I watch my Yosemite installer boot on my GTX750 EFI card with full boot support I can tell you that MacVidCards will continue offering EFI cards for cMP.

3. boborambow macrumors newbie

I've been building out a Mac Pro and I have my GTX 970 and GT 120 working great in Yosemite as well. I currently installed Windows on a PCIe slot and it works great. But I have the same exact issue as you. I can't get windows to use both GPUs. If I pull the GT 120, it would fine with just the GTX 970 and vice versa. But I like to keep both in the computer for ease.

Did you ever get Windows to recognize both the 120 and 970?

4. MassMacMan macrumors regular

I have both a GTX970 and a legacy GT120. While they play together quite well in Yosemite, under Windows 7 only the GT120 worked. The work-around for me was to remove the GT120 and keep it in a drawer nearby for emergency use. I drive four monitors with the GTX970. If I want to run Windows as a virtual machine, I use VMWare Fusion and Windows runs under one screen. If I need to run Windows natively, I use BootChamp to force a reboot of my machine in Windows, and all four screens are active. A reboot cleanly brings up Yosemite.

Finally, if I get stuck after a MacOS update and the system reverts to the OSX default driver, no monitors work. I then use TeamViewer to remotely log into my machine from a nearby laptop, install the new Nvidia web driver and restart. Voila!

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

For Windows 7-8.1.

Nvidia dropped support for the GT120/9x00 in their Windows drivers over a year ago before Maxwell came out. This means if you install both cards at the same time Windows will attempt to install and run a driver for the older card that isn't compatible with the newer card.

The solution is to use the generic Windows driver for the GT120 and the newest Nvidia drivers for the newer card. Don't allow Windows to install the driver for the older card. This can be done by disabling the download in Windows Update.

In Windows 10 you can't disable the Windows Update from installing the older driver. You must only have the newer card installed.

6. boborambow macrumors newbie

Ah cool. Thanks for the tips!

I am running Windows 7 so I'm also going to give the generic drivers a try. That sounds like a great idea. I just like the GT 120 for the bootup screens. I have my drives encrypted and in Yosemite, you need to type your password in during that bootup screen phase. I can fudge it with the screens off, I just wait a couple seconds then press the left arrow key then wait a couple seconds, then type in my password.

BootChamp sounds like it might fix my other issue though. For some reason, my computer always selects the wrong drive when I switch from Windows to Mac. I have a partition for a Yosemite clean install and a backup HD. It seems to select one of those at random. But BootChamp might solve that issue. I'm entirely sure why it does that, but I think it has something to do with the encrypted drives. I'm going to try decrypting and seeing if it changes.