GTX1080 mobile GPU - a Game-Changer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HumpYourWayUp, Aug 20, 2016.

1. HumpYourWayUp, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

Lets marvel at this amazing mobile GPU from Nvidia:

Apple certainly will once again use an inferior ATI GPU (which AMD sells to Apple for cheap) in their refreshed 15" Macbook Pro :-(
    And the consumer will have to pay premium for that inferior pro laptop....

Apple makes it hard to like them anymore....

PS: Watch the video at 0:20 - "this performance in 14" laptop". If Apple users the inferior AMD chip again I do not give any Fks if the Macbook will feature an OLED bar... :mad:

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The desktop version of this chip has a 180w TDP. Even if they manage to cut that in half, it'd be way beyond the maximum TDP that the laptop can handle.

And for the record, since the rMBP was released in 2012, Apple has used Nvidia over AMD 3 out of 5 times.

3. Patcell macrumors 6502

I hear you... We can dream, but we will NOT see a mobile GTX 1080 (or NVIDIA of any kind) in the new MacBook. The mobile 1080 has a TDP of about 150 watts, it would need to be 1/3 of that to fit in the thermal envelope of the current 15" rMBP. And Apple will no doubt go thinner with the refreshed design. I'm not saying I agree with it at all, but I think we'd be lucky to see mobile Polaris in the new Pro - we may be stuck with Iris Pro 580 (assuming Skylake is used).
    --- Post Merged, Aug 20, 2016 ---
    Also, Apple doesn't stick with one vendor for more than a few years (NVIDIA vs. AMD), if history is any indicator. Assuming a dGPU continues to be offered in the MacBook Pro line, we will see the pendulum swing back to NVIDIA again in the next couple of years. I think...

4. ljjycss macrumors member

ljjycss

Current mobile Pascal is a no fit for MBP. Though it would be interesting to see them in iMac. However, I don't get really the point of using AMD GPU in new mbp. I think iris pro 580 is the best solution to a thin and light laptop. Putting a polaris 11 alongside with iris pro 580, you get much more power consumption, much more thermal emission and unsatisfying performance gain. Those OC rx460 are about twice as fast as iris pro 580 while consuming 90 to 100w. How much GPU power would remain if it got axed to 1/2 or 1/3?