Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
So i've got my "EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB PhysX" working in a fresh 10.7.4 install on my old MP 1.1

In CUDA-Z it looks like CUDA is working... right?
And in Luxmark it finally regognize the card having OpenCL working.
But how much i want CUDA to work in Blender i only seem to get OpenCL working.

I followed the step 2, 3 and final step on the tinymacx86 page the other steps didn't match my hardware.

I also tried using Zeus to flash my 570 so i would get a boot screeen using Cindoris rom file but i failed, Zeus didn't manage to flash my card so still no boot screen, is doable to flash a standard 570 so it will get the boot screen?

Anyone have a clue how to get Blender to regognize and use cuda on my 570?

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• cuda-z.gif
    cuda-z.gif
    57.6 KB · Views: 179
  • luxm-1.gif
    luxm-1.gif
    15 KB · Views: 116
  • luxm-2.gif
    luxm-2.gif
    91 KB · Views: 138
  • blender.png
    blender.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 878

lampliter

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Yes I would love blender to recognize my card, but is it even possible on a mac since there is no nvidea cards supported.:(

Jmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Yes I would love blender to recognize my card, but is it even possible on a mac since there is no nvidea cards supported.:(

Others have been successful getting this working so i'm not out of hope.
I'm just trying to beef up my old 1.1 with CUDA rendering ing Blender until next year when presumably the next Mac Pro will come.

lampliter

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
JMX if you find away I would love to here how you do it. I also have a 1,1. I want a new computer and for the life of me I can't find a reason any more to get another pro. Ive been on a mac for 20 + years and know very little about windows. But I do know the mac pro has absolutely nothing to offer anymore. With rendering going the way of the GPU, and apple has always felt the GPU is totally unessacary. So if you get it working without a load of hacking, cracking,flashing and mashing. Let us know.

Jmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
@lampliter

I feel your despair :(
I live in both OS X and Win world at work, i just like OS X so much more.
I don't think we should have to hack, tweak and crack things to get our Macs working as expected.
I also think we all need to tell Apple how we feel and what we expect of future Macs so we (the users) just don't wait and go with what we get.

I still believe that a modern Mac is a more fun place to work at but real life demanding us being more competitive with the rest of the market regarding being able to upgrade graphic on our Mac Pro's is more important now than ever.
To make the Mac Pro a great machine Apple must enable us to upgrade to any standard graphic cards when needed without any hacking or patching.

try making your voice heard on anyone of these:
tcook@apple.com
https://discussions.apple.com/community/desktop_computers/mac_pro

Meanwhile we just have to try hacking our old MP's to greatness until the next real upgraded MP. :)

Michael Perez

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
For future reference, you cannot flash an unmodded GTX 570 with that EFI file because the stock chip is too small. And, of course, it is EFI64, which wouldn't work on a 1,1 or 2,1 Mac Pro anyway, they use EFI32.

Michael

gegagome

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
It works for me*

Others have been successful getting this working so i'm not out of hope.
I'm just trying to beef up my old 1.1 with CUDA rendering ing Blender until next year when presumably the next Mac Pro will come.

Please check this post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1360927/

Blender is actually rendering much much faster using Cycles (CUDA), but it crashes when Rendered is selected on the viewport window, so I choose CPU when live previewing.

Actually, has anyone been brave enough to install Mountain Lion yet? I've tried two of the simple ways (no chameleon) and even a hackintosh flash drive to no avail.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.