Resolved GTX660 08 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UncleSchnitty, Oct 13, 2014.

1. UncleSchnitty, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked around and couldn't find anything But can a gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX660 be flashed with EFI. Ive had the card running perfectly for about a year but now I want to run ubuntu on an external and I can't get it to load without EFI. I do have ubuntu running in parallels but I like having different OS on their own drive that I can boot directly to.
    As always any help is appreciated.

2. MacVidCards Suspended

Writing an EFI for such a card is a tricky and time consuming thing.

We do it from fresh, a few people copy our work but I don't believe there is a one of them smart enough to do that card.

In short, there is no pre-written rom for the card with EFI. We could most likely do it but as it would take half a day or so we have to charge for it. Aside from which, there is a good chance you would need a new EEPROM chip.

If you have a 1,1/2,1 MP it's pointless anyway.

Better choice may be a smaller EFI card for boot screens. 2600XT for Mac has the advantage of working in all cMP. There is an OEM GT120 for 3,1 and later and we have created a GT120 for earlier machines. (also available from the "copy & paste" code kiddies)

3. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

Thanks MacVidCards,
    Thats kinda what I figured. I have the MP3,1, I still have the original card that I could throw in there if I really wanted to but then it become a hassle of switching cables every once in a while when I really don't "NEED" it. At that point for the money I put into it for this I could get an old mac mini as a dual boot/mess around computer.

I do appreciate your response though. If I change my mind Ill know where to purchase from!

4. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

One last thing, is there a way to run my old ATI 2600 just for efi and then have it switch to the 660 without using a dedicated monitor for efi? I really don't know how it would work but maybe someone here has done it.

5. MacVidCards Suspended

If I were you I would sell them both and get a GtX680.

Easily flashed at home and solves both issues.

Or sell the 2600 and have us add EFI to your 660

6. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

Do me a favor, send me a PM with a price for you to EFI the 660