GTX970 to cMP w/ pPro + AE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by toke lahti, Aug 17, 2015.

1. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Title cryptic enough? ;)
    I need to upgrade my friend's macPro 4,1.
    He mainly uses premiere and a small amount with afterEffects.

Would 970 be the optimal bang-for-a-buck choice now?
    Anybody seen any comparisons of nVidias card's with cc15's pPro in osX?

2. MacVidCards Suspended

Barefeats.com tested some a while back. You may want to check with that site.

3. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

I found there stuff 3 years ago about cs6, but after that, there has been3 new major versions cc7, cc2014 and cc2015.
    There was some talk years ago about adding AMD support to Mercury engine, but I couldn't find any tests anywhere...

4. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

I have the 970 and have used Premiere Pro with ProRes 4K and Redcode 5K footage and it works quite well.
    As for AE, it does not take advantage of GPUs yet, as software is often years behind hardware. Maybe in 2020, when AE will have a keyboard shortcut manager BUILT IN, AE will be capable using a GPU for a layer or two.

5. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

6. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Some might even suggest that there isn't enough competition in the field of digital image / content making software business...
    And it surely explains why FCP got so popular before Apple started to downgrade their products.
    With all the talent Apple has and can use, I just wish that some day they rethink their pro software business. "We don't do this because it makes huge piles of money, but because we can do it better..."

7. Unami macrumors 6502a

after effects has used cuda cpus for raytracing since cs6 - or even cs5. not 100% sure, if it works out of the box with unsupported cards (it should now), as you had to activate in a textfile until cc 2014 or so, but in theory, it should work.

no gpu support for rendering in ae, but you can always export via media encoder.

8. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

I'd estimate that 95% of my friend's rendering time comes from premiere.

9. haysoos123 macrumors newbie

Premiere and AE may catch up to FCPX rendering speeds when support for Metal comes out. It's hard to say, but Adobe has a lot of old code in AE to revamp, and they may always be a little behind because of their multiplatform support.