Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
I'm about to pick up a nvidia gtx980. I'm currently running 10.12.3 sierra and latest nvidia web driver, and everything is ok with my old gtx 680. I've read a few things online saying that there are issues with 9xx cards.
Can anyone confirm this? I'm on a cmp 5,1.

Thanks

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
If it helps... I'm running the GTX Titan X without any issue on the latest driver and OS. I also ran the GTX980 SC beforehand (non-flashed) with never one issue either. Still have the GTX980 stored away.

rahaney

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2014
If it helps... I'm running the GTX Titan X without any issue on the latest driver and OS. I also ran the GTX980 SC beforehand (non-flashed) with never one issue either. Still have the GTX980 stored away.
You follow any particular guide for the above? Do you have bootcamp?

kunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010

Thanks!
As long as it runs...Any minor issues I'll figure out myself. Good old crappy gt120 and 680 are the if I need a boot screen.

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
I'm about to pick up a nvidia gtx980. I'm currently running 10.12.3 sierra and latest nvidia web driver, and everything is ok with my old gtx 680. I've read a few things online saying that there are issues with 9xx cards.
Can anyone confirm this? I'm on a cmp 5,1.

Thanks

Only issue we have with the GTX980 is no displayport audio. Other than that, it works flawlessly.

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
Funny part is the only issues we I had (on multiple machines) were if I tried to run two of the same nVidia cards at the same time, and only in Final Cut Pro X

With one card per tipe, no problem at all.

AUser2017

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
I had big issues with my flashed 980 after the sierra upgrade. After the upgrade my mp5.1 was booting up with the apple logo and then all screens went black and the fans run very loud...Only a cold shutdown was possible. I tried everything... Clean Install on a external hd, but the same behavior happened. Under Bootcamp everything was ok.
I was confused, cause with elcap everything worked normal. So i started my oddysee in the web to find out, what the problem was... After a very long search in a lot of forums, i found a little post in a hackintosh forum about black screen with dual displays with the advice to use only one display. I thought, ********, 2 displays worked in 10.11, so why not in sierra? But at last I tried it and bam sierra booted up... I was so glad, that my mp wasn´t broken.
But how can i use 2 displays again... Another little post gave me the tip to use displayport instead of dvi. I bought a dp to dvi cable for one Display and hdmi for the other one. And Bam it worked... Sierra with 2 Displays and till now everything works fine...great...

Reactions: Filin

joot

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
Is there a particular brand of 980 GTX that is preferred over other brands?

kunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
No issues so far with my GTX 980 - works great in recent latest macos and in windows 10.
I don't use audio from display ports so I can't comment on that.

edit: it's evga gtx 980 sc

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
Running an EVGA 980ti Hybrid in my 09 Mac pro with current version of Sierra. No problems with the web drivers.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I just installed OS 10.12.4 on my MP 5,1 and my GTX980 stopped working. I tried to download drivers from macvidcards and web drivers still do not work...

Filin

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
Ukraine
I just installed OS 10.12.4 on my MP 5,1 and my GTX980 stopped working. I tried to download drivers from macvidcards and web drivers still do not work...
Sometimes after update, driver need to be switched from default macOS driver to Nvidia web driver via control panel. Also pram reset may help

jeeplj8

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
I have a 970 working with Sierra 10.4.

You MUST download the latest drivers from NVidea for it to work. Then it works like a champ. Their control panel is very similar to the windows version.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I have a 970 working with Sierra 10.4.

You MUST download the latest drivers from NVidea for it to work. Then it works like a champ. Their control panel is very similar to the windows version.

I did but for some reason it did not work. I just re-downloaded the latest drivers and restarted my cmp.... all good now! I also switched to the Nvidia Web Driver...

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I did but for some reason it did not work. I just re-downloaded the latest drivers and restarted my cmp.... all good now! I also switched to the Nvidia Web Driver...

There was a change to the NVRam variable from 10.11.x to 10.12.x, so if that's what you upgraded from, setting the drivers from the NVDA Control Panel fixes the issue.

Bloodklot

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Only issue we have with the GTX980 is no displayport audio. Other than that, it works flawlessly.

So with the unflashed GTX 980, are you getting a boot screen with the new NVIDIA drivers? Or is flashing the card the only possible way to get a boot screen other than using a secondary gfx card? I have Mac Pro 3,1 running a GTX 680 Mac Edition.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So with the unflashed GTX 980, are you getting a boot screen with the new NVIDIA drivers? Or is flashing the card the only possible way to get a boot screen other than using a secondary gfx card? I have Mac Pro 3,1 running a GTX 680 Mac Edition.

It won’t display the boot screen. At this moment, a theory about using Cover / rEFInd to utilise the card’s UEFI GOP to Display the boot screen is possible, but no one in this forum successfully make it happen yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.