Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vsc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2014
I installed a refurb GTX980 (not ti) into a Mac Pro 5.1 where I initially noticed small artifacts if I used the OS-X accessibility whole screen zoom. That said in Adobe Camera Raw zooming the image to be processed occasionally yielded large blocky artifacts within the camera raw window. To confirm the problem was the GTX980 or its web driver (e.g. current version for 10.11.6) I switched back to the ATI 5870 shipped with the system. The artifact problem was not present with the 5870.

Opinions on if this is a Nvidia web driver issue or a problem with the GTX980 I purchased?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Do you have a bootcamp install to test the video card? Or another computer? That would be my next thing to try. Different computer would be ideal to try it in an entirely different setup.

Also, have you upgraded your OS install, or have you been installing fresh? I performed OS upgrades since Mavericks and notices some weird issues off and on. I performed a fresh install and things are better.

deppest

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
I am using an unflashed 980ti and am getting the same artifacts in ACR when zooming. These are not present when i use an older gtx570 card. Seems to be maxwell driver related.

vsc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2014
I am using an unflashed 980ti and am getting the same artifacts in ACR when zooming. These are not present when i use an older gtx570 card. Seems to be maxwell driver related.

I was afraid of that. Thank you for confirming.

Edit: I submitted a problem report to Nvidia.

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I see rarely and only very shortly artifacts with my Maxwell card in Safari (OS X El Capitan). I guess it's driver related.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
I installed a refurb GTX980 (not ti) into a Mac Pro 5.1 where I initially noticed small artifacts if I used the OS-X accessibility whole screen zoom. That said in Adobe Camera Raw zooming the image to be processed occasionally yielded large blocky artifacts within the camera raw window. To confirm the problem was the GTX980 or its web driver (e.g. current version for 10.11.6) I switched back to the ATI 5870 shipped with the system. The artifact problem was not present with the 5870.

Opinions on if this is a Nvidia web driver issue or a problem with the GTX980 I purchased?

Hey vsc, just out of curiosity, did you get your 980 refurb from microcenter?

vsc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Hey vsc, just out of curiosity, did you get your 980 refurb from microcenter?

Yes I did. That said the 980 I received appears to be new. There was zero wear on the gold contacts which makes me suspect that these were never in customer's hands.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Yes I did. That said the 980 I received appears to be new. There was zero wear on the gold contacts which makes me suspect that these were never in customer's hands.

Good to hear. I was thinking about picking up another 980

vsc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2014
I found the following thread discussing artifacts in Photoshop and a potential mitigation (e.g. switch from advanced GPU utilization to normal). That said clearly I have seen artifacts created by the outline of windows, having nothing to do with Adobe.

Also reading on a Hackingtosh forum it would appear that artifact issues with Maxwell boards and the web drivers has been an ongoing issue, though the problem has been less pronounced with the later versions of the web driver.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...oshop-cc-mdash-screen-artifacts-w-stamp-tool/

vsc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2014
After exchanging emails with Nvidia with respect to the GTX980, the matter was left with Nvidia will not provide support. It was specifically cited they would only address issues with OS-X (and applications running under OS-X) but only for products specifically sold for use with OS-X such as a K5000 for Mac.

If I was only running a render box then maybe I would keep the GTX980, though I'm not sure I would be using a MacPro for that function given there are much more powerful options that are possible. This puts my into the annoying position of returning the card for a refund.

Sigh

vsc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Have you tried this fix suggested by Tim K. at Adobe?
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2183797

I have no experience with it and I'm not promising anything. Just sharing info.

With respect to that fix I was not aware of it, though the problem I encountered was with Photoshop and specifically Camera Raw. That said I found a suggestion that the solution was to set normal rather than advanced use of GPU acceleration in Photoshop.

I never got beyond testing apps for still imagery before I decided to simply return the Nvidia card in favor of a R9 280X. The deciding factor was Nvidia's statements early yesterday related to their level of ongoing support for OS-X, or lack there of. Overall I believe this brings to light a a future that none of us wants where Apple largely exists the business of computers running OS-X.

Given the track Apple is on I believe we have a number of years left in the platform and as such I'm upgrading my MacPro 5,1 as much as possible to extend its life.

vsc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Do you have link?

Technically this was via their support web site where I had an open case, thus no access unless one is logged in via my corporate account.

I designed in a Kepler and subsequently Maxwell GP-GPUs into two different systems over the past few years, where we have an ongoing development in that area right now. While I would like to suggest I have a deep level of access to Nvidia, I don't. But I do talk to their people as part of our business relationship. Much earlier this year I was told of their deep concerns related to how they will fund the next generation GPU (e.g. beyond Pascal) given the astounding development costs. In short the gamer market is no longer able to sustain the ever growing costs, where Nvidia is currently seeking other markets such as automotive with their Tegra product range.

When it was quoted that the president of Nvidia cited no Pascal drivers without Apple's help, I as much as others read that as "technical help", but I submit it should be read as "business help". Nvidia is looking for markets to support their future business.

Reactions: Synchro3

STek ZeNIO

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Silicon Valley
Hey guys... I could find anywhere else more relevant than here to post this issue. Has anyone here experienced the indefinite black screen issue @startup for Mac Pro 5,1 Sierra 10.12.2 (latest update) and Nvidia GTX 980 with Nvidia's latest two web drivers? Simply an incompatibility issue? Or Need workarounds?

Mac Pro's GPU was on progress to be upgraded from MSI GTX 680 with boot screen (not sure flashed, how do I know if flashed?) to Nvidia GTX 980 reference design (unmodified) with the best hope of being able to boot into Sierra (albeit no boot screen). Even though I have managed to successfully install Nvidia's latest Web Drivers into Sierra, I can't seem to get past the indefinite black screen. Unusually, after power on, I hear apple chime twice and then nothing shows up on the screen.. I mean not even a blink or grey screen.. nothing at all - the monitor continues to say "no signal" and no "log in" screen shows up at all. I have tried to boot with the latest two web drivers which resulted in the same black screen with the same behavior of twice chime sound (PRAM reset itself?). And I switched back to GTX680 and it seems to be absolutely fine. Moreover the web drivers are checked as expected (not altered to OSX default drivers). However, GTX 980 with latest web drivers successfully works on El Capitan 10.11.6 (no boot screen). But I need it work on Sierra where my primary work applications reside. So simply say... GTX 980 is not compatible with Sierra in MP? If it is, would you have any suggestion for workarounds?

Here are more detailed info of what was involved in the process:–
System: Mac pro 5,1 2012 3.46Ghz Hex-core (cMP)
OS X: Sierra 10.12.2 (16C67), the latest update installed on Dec 15, 2016
Nvidia Web Drivers: (16C67) 367.15.10.25f01 or (16C67/68) 367.15.10.25f02 (lastest 1/6/2017)
Monitor: LG34UC88
Connection: HDMI or DP (used one at a time, displayed same black screen)

Hope this issue along with possible solution would help someone else out there!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I would boot up with the GTX 680 and check the list of loaded KEXTS to see if the Nvidia KEXT is truly loading. The Nvidia preference pane may just be displaying what it thinks should be happening, and not what is actually happening.

STek ZeNIO

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Silicon Valley
I would boot up with the GTX 680 and check the list of loaded KEXTS to see if the Nvidia KEXT is truly loading. The Nvidia preference pane may just be displaying what it thinks should be happening, and not what is actually happening.

SUCCESS! The issue appears to be all about "Encrypted Sierra drive by FileVault". The encrypted drive does not give access to login screen as well as let the 980 drivers in. So I had to reconnect to the 680 and turned off filevault to decrypt the drive for hours. Then VOILA! with the 980, the login screen shows up.
[doublepost=1484026886][/doublepost]Another issue is audio... Nvidia GTX 980 is NOT capable of producing HDMI/Displayport audio with Sierra/El Capitan and Nvidia's latest web drivers. Is it true?

I have made HDMI/DP audio work with the MSI GTX 680 beautifully but not with Nvidia GTX 980. I followed this instruction in Guide: HDMI Audio - Post #479 using HDMIaudio-1.1(kext), and of course disabling SIP first. The result was... no HDMI/DP device showed up at sound output on Sierra as well as El Capitan (all latest build) with latest web drivers. But HDMI/Displayport showed back up again when I connected back to the 680. Any of you guys able to make it work somehow?

Update (2/20/17): Both HDMI/DP in GTX 680 and GTX 980 working great!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.