Guangzhou Opera House: Brava Zaha!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by arkitect, Mar 1, 2011.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh my god it makes me weak at the knees…
    Gorgeous.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linky…

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is pretty cool looking. It reminds me of Base Star on Battlestar Galactica.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

4. burningbright, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

burningbright macrumors regular

Impressive-looking architecture! Am a bit wary though. Alright, the photographer presumably was looking for the cleanest, most spectacular photos, but from them it looks like the functionality of the place is subordinated to the looks...

It looks like its idea of relating to context is allowing views of nearby tall buildings, instead of knitting into a functioning neighbourhood. The approaches look devoid of activity bar walking, and the unchanging view would make walking there feel further than it actually is, because the size of the opera house is the obvious reference point for progress, and it will 'get bigger' very slowly. There doesn't seem to be any activity en route to justify going there unless for a performance. I fear the space around it will be pretty dead.

I'm also a bit dubious about forcing pedestrians along a massive detour around the lake so they don't spoil the precious reflection. How big a problem it is depends upon how important the destinations that the path links are, the quality of alternate routes, and how prepared opera-goers are to take big detours for the sake of a fine reflection!

Ah well, this is only an opinion based on the linked photos, which were presumably taken by a photographer with a particular story he/she wants to tell. I hope my fears are baseless! It's certainly a spectacular building.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

"Fantastic", according to Richard Margison... (source)

6. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I'm not a huge fan of her work, and I think she was way overrated when she first started getting built - but I have to admit she is picking up her game every year. This looks like a nice project.

7. electronique macrumors 6502

Very impressive.. lovely design.

But being a Sydney sider.. Sydney Opera House will always be king.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think I'd get dizzy and fall over in a building like that, the lack of any straight walls would make me lose my visual bearings. :p