guarantee for splashed water... is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ved, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Ved macrumors newbie

Ok first of all, NO I'm not dumb enough to drink next to my powerbook, but a friend is... not next to HIS powerbook, but of a friends...

Of course it crashed.

Is there any chances that they could get away with the old... ey this laptop just doesn't work (it's only 2 weeks old), I want a new one?

or they'll be totally spotted within 3 minutes?

or is apple SO kind to give you the guarantee anyways? (don't think so). Cause the repairing cost is a thousand bucks, half another powerbook.

So... what do you say people??

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not to be nitpicky, but drinking something near a computer doesn't cause it to crash. I assume that the person spilled something on the laptop. If the liquid got into the machine through the keyboard, the moisture stickers will tell the tale, so your attempt at dishonesty will fail.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

If your friend of a friend (right?) is using a Powerbook then it has long been out of warranty. I'm assuming you mean a MacBook Pro if it's only 2 weeks old.

And Miles is right, water damage is quite obvious.

4. Ved thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i'm sorry, I meant a MacBook Pro, I never got used to the name. And Miles, well the title of the thread clearly says splashed water, so I didn't think I'd have to say it again, sorry, my bad.

And, I'd like to say it's not MY attempt at dishonesty, I'm writing from my perfectly working, totally dry macbook pro, my friend asked me (cause he's the one who has to pay to get it repaired) and I said I'd find out.

And yes, the water got in from the keyboard, so it seems that will be the most expensive glass of water my friend ever had.

Thanks for your time and kindness to reply guys.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Except you never state that water splashed onto the machine.

His attempt at dishonesty then.

If he wants to get it repaired, it's probably best to go to an authorized repair shop first. It'll almost certainly be cheaper than the Apple store.