Guardian Maximus HD setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Deftony99, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Deftony99 macrumors newbie

Hello all. New to the Forums, Just a quick question, don't have too much experience with Raid setups, I just purchased the Guardian maximus enclosure and will run it as a Raid-1 setup the issue I have is the HD's i have are the same capacity but different models, one is a Samsung 1TB sata/300 5400 RPM and a 32MB buffer while the other is 1TB WD Red - NAS HD data/600 64MB buffer and 7200 RPM, when I went to my local fry's the sales dude said in a Nas environment the difference HD's don't matter, but reading the Guardian Maximus manual says HD's of identical capacity/model is required...who do i believe? would the different HD setup not work?:confused:

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

1. The Guardian Maximus HD is not an NAS (Network Attached Storage) because it doesn't connect directly to the network via ethernet.

2. No one can say that similar drives don't matter in all NAS or JBOD storage solutions, since they're all different manufacturers and chipsets.

3. Most do recommend the same drive to eliminate incompatibilities. although some are more forgiving.

Since the Fry's guy didn't know #1 and #2, I'd go with the manufacturer on this and say you should have the same drives.