Guess as you type?, Like the Cellphones

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thegoldenmackid, Aug 24, 2007.

1. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Is there any "guess as you type" technology available for macs, like the cell phone texting technology.

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Uh, the keyboard? What exactly are you trying to do? :confused:

3. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

openoffice offers autocomplete function for words, it seems it has to be the word you previously typed.

but its more annoying than helpful on a full size computer.

5. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Spell checker works well. What is wrong with spell check?

The Stig

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I might be wrong but IIRC then when typing you can press escape and it will fill out the rest of the word for you, not very quick but the germ of the idea is already present.

7. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

no...

i don't need a typing application because I cannot type, I require it because i have an activity where typing at high speed with accuracy would be needed.

I know that there were some applications available, but none worked within excel.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In Safari windows at least, it's Opt-Escape. It should work in most Cocoa applications. It won't work in non-Cocoa apps like Office 04. I always forget about it. It's actually a very nice feature for when I'm using some more obscure word that's hard to spell....

You can pretty easily train (assuming you don't have any motor or neuromotor problems) to get at least up to around 80WPM... using predictive text requires you to interact back and forth much more than touch typing. Do you really think that you'll be able to do interactive faster than that? The only thing I've ever really heard of that's faster than good touch typing is voice recognition, and it has its own problems.

9. Slumbercub macrumors regular