Guess I can't buy one....

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jman13, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Because Apple isn't making a single watch that will even fit my wrist. I'm a big guy, no doubt. I've got quite a bit of muscle, and then I'm a bit overweight on top of that muscle, but still: my wrist is 223mm in the spot where I'd wear a watch. It's 203mm at the narrowest point right at the joint, so, technically I could get one on my wrist. However, being right at the joint, it'd be incredibly uncomfortable to wear when doing anything except letting my arm hang straight. When I wear a watch, I always put the edge of the face at the joint so that when I bend my wrists it doesn't dig into the watch.

Why such restricted sizing on these bands?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It remains to be seen whether Apple will make available an XL size that you can special order.

Perhaps you can search ebay for people who'll offload their extra link pieces from the Link Bracelet?

Worse case scenario: Buy an extra Link Bracelet and use the links from that.

3. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

I have the same issue as I've measured my wrist at 220 mm. I've found a couple of different kickstarter ideas though that may solve issues for folks like us. The one I like the best is Click which lets you use a regular watch band. I'm hoping they don't get shut down by Apple.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm sure there will be an insane amount of aftermarket bracelets in all shapes and sizes whether Apple allows them or not.

5. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

It's fashion.

Try to find any fashion clothes that are made for someone bigger than a size 6. Even though > size 6 is the majority of the population.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

You mean the iPhone? :)

Probably going that route myself: No additional cost and one less thing to charge.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

of course :)

9. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't count on being able to link in extra pieces - they said that each link was differently sized.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

On most good watches they're usually the same width near the clasp - so you can take some out to reduce the diameter.

If Apple are serious about doing the premium watch thing properly they'll sell spare links.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

well around the clasp, the links need to be sized the same to allow for links to be removed.

12. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Unless they're numbered or have some other indication as to what order they go in. Probably more trouble than it's worth...

13. troop231 macrumors 603

Look on eBay for spare links once people start getting their Watches.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Pretty sure they're progressively sized up to the adjustment pieces. There's a video showing an employee removing the links, mixing them up, then re-attaching them.

15. jmrdmd macrumors newbie

I'm a nine incher...wrist that is. I'm crazy enough to buy an extra band for the links but I don't see the black link offered for sale on the website.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unfortunately, they seem to be upselling the Space Black and are only making the standard SS bracelet available for purchase separately.

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I think upselling is the incorrect term.

18. lke, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  19. technosix macrumors 6502a

Sage advice... :)

20. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

21. JayLenochiniMac, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're probably right. Either way, they're forcing people to get the most expensive band if they want the Space Black.

22. troop231 macrumors 603

Space Gray or Space Black? Oh the confusion lol.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Fixed. Had a brain fart.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think I may have the opposite problem from the OP. I have very slender wrists and I was just trying out the cutouts with the various bands, and I'm afraid that even the smaller watch with the smallest band I could find (classic buckle) might be too big for me. :(

25. Phightinphils macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

I can guarantee you that 3rd party XL straps will made. Don't let that keep you from getting it!