Guess I'm Fixing My 3G Screen - But How?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itommyboy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Apple and Ma Bell I mean AT&T bending over their already on board loyal customers like this...to me is a sin.

So I just want to fix my shattered iPhone 3g's screen - what is the best way to do it? I'm handy yes but have more money than time lately and would rather send it off and have it done and done right. But who can you trust other than Apple for such work? Or is sending it to Apple my answer?

Thanks in advance for any tips I'm really in the dark on what options are out there for a shattered iPhone 3G screen that still seems to work great.

2. blackberrylover macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. Apple will charge you $200 and just give you a new phone.

3. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Cool thanks for that I think I"m going to ship it off to them. Which leads me to this question as it dawned on me I've never done this - but is there a way to wipe your iPhone so there is no personal info on it when getting it worked on like this?

I'm guessing I can just factory reset but doesn't it have to be done through iTunes so it auto registers upon reload?

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its probably wise to do a backup right before you send it in. At that point just restore, set up as a new phone, and wipe the data.

5. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Um wait a minute. I could just go buy a brand new one for $99 now couldn't I? :confused:

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you're still on contract you won't get it for 100.

7. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Ahhh yes duh! Thanks again for your tips and replies DGD. Sounds like I'll have my old "new" 3G back in my hands by the w/end!

8. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Its really easy. just take out the two screws on the bottom and get a suction cup ( like for a garman or something to attach to your car window) and place it on the screen in the middle and pull on an angle with the pivot point being the top of the phone. It will pop off with no problem. I've replaced my wifes iphone screen that way. To easy! There are websites out there that will show you all the steps. The screen has (if I remember correctly) three cables near the top. Go to cnn.cn and by a replacement screen and viola you're set. Took me like 5 minutes to replace.

9. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I am sending my phone off for repair and it won't be back in my hands for at least a week.

I obviously need a phone to use (I don't have a landline) can I just buy a cheap ATT phone off of craigslist or Target, put my SIM in it??? :confused: