Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Final design

• Will have both the seams and the screw holes

Votes: 56 47.5%
  • Will have neither the seams nor the screw holes

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Will have the seams but no screw holes

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Will have the screw holes, but no seams

Votes: 11 9.3%

• Total voters

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
What's it gonna be?

gizmodo-vs-vietnam-iphone-4g.jpg

The winner gets a smiley!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9958623/

Based on what we know of the model designations, the ones w/ screws are newer than the one's without.

The Vietnamese model was a PRO2 which is an early prototype. No screws.
The Gizmodo model was a DVT - Design Verification Test which is later in the process. Has screws.

And from what I'm seeing, most of these pictures appear to be coming from parts suppliers, so most likely these are production parts.

alex.sebenski

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The one on the left with screws is more likely because it looks like the 3GS but if apple could get rid of the screws they would. Maybe the one on the left was just a stepping stone prototype form and then the final copy was the one without screws.
Sans screws is good for the end user, but then it would have to be easier to just 'pop' apart, and that's not good for the end user. You'd see iphones breaking open. No thanks.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
The one on the left with screws is more likely because it looks like the 3GS but if apple could get rid of the screws they would. Maybe the one on the left was just a stepping stone prototype form and then the final copy was the one without screws.
Sans screws is good for the end user, but then it would have to be easier to just 'pop' apart, and that's not good for the end user. You'd see iphones breaking open. No thanks.

You maybe right, though the one without the screws wasn't just "popped it", it had a screw on the side, hidden under the size lot cover.

v11.jpg

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Am I the only one who sees only words SCREW HOLES SCREW HOLES SCREW HOLES in this thread? :D

Btw, I think it will have the seams and the screws.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

That sounds a lot like: "You can't make an iPhone screen out of glass. You'd see iPhone screens breaking. No thanks."

And yeah...I've seen iPhone screens break.

That didn't stop Apple from making them, though.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
How do people not believe there aren't going to be seams in the new Iphone. They've been in every single shot we've seen of every version, even in parts. They're going to be there, and they appear to be filled with something that looks like black rubber - they're probably dampening for shock absorption. I welcome the seams if that's what they're for. Bring 'em on. Not that I thought they were that big of a deal to begin with like others did.

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
I voted for the one on the left because I think that is more likely.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the speaker and mic ports are smaller on the prototype on the left because of the screws? I wonder if this will affect sound quality and mic quality?

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Screw holes. Screw holes. Screw the holes.

Someone should make a poll: Do you care if there's screw holes on the bottom of the new iPhone?

I'm kinda salty that there's been so many leaks lately. This poll is basically "Which leak do you think is more legit?"

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
How do people not believe there aren't going to be seams in the new Iphone. They've been in every single shot we've seen of every version, even in parts. They're going to be there, and they appear to be filled with something that looks like black rubber - they're probably dampening for shock absorption. I welcome the seams if that's what they're for. Bring 'em on. Not that I thought they were that big of a deal to begin with like others did.

agreed

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I voted for seams + no screws just because it is a lot more iPad like. But I think the screws will be there :(.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
How come no one seems to think that the iPhone that has been floating around was nothing more than a prototype and will never see full scale production. I don't think we'll see a design change at all, i think it'll be exactly the same as it has been for years.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I think the 4g iPhone will have the screws no doubt. I love how some people kept saying the screws were "so un-apple"...... ever seen a 3g/3gs?

Gamst

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2008
Manchester, U.K.
I just hope the build quality is better on the new iPhone, in-fact I'd pay double to have a consistent and solid iPhone! I've owned the 3G and 3GS and had replacements for various issues. Only once has the screen been completely level. The one I have now is wonky by at least 1mm, while this isn't worth me getting it replaced, it's shoddy. Same with the gaps by the bezel and uneven seal. I always expected Apple products to be a premium high quality product, the iPhone isn't that in terms of build quality. It's still my favourite phone I've ever owned(possibly favourite ever piece of technology!).

You can't blame Apple I guess, they knock these devices together in a sweat shop full of modern day slaves and sell them for maybe twenty times what it cost to produce them. That's why they are making as much money as they are.

I'd definitely be prepared to pay a lot more for an iPhone if they could guarantee it'd be built better or least if they employed a QC department that were either more strict or knew what they are doing!

From what I have seen of the leaked pictures, if looks like a solid device, it'd be nice if there were no gaps on the new one. I find dust gets in between the bezel and the seal too easily on the current design and is very hard to clean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.