Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Ahh, but you miss the point.

I think Apple's endgame is to have iOS apps run in a layer upon MacOSX.

What would be the point of that ? No, iOS and OS X are as merged as they are going to get. Gestures/UI fluff from one another does not change Finder into Springboard or vice versa.

Both OSes share the core components they can already, and the rest is simply separated by the devices they run on.

(BTW, top posting is absolutely wrong. We have to scroll your entire wall of text rant to know what you're responding to ? Bottom posting. It's what RFC 1855 prones and is most logical for forum discussions).

vahnx

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
Mountain Lion. It will be the final step in making Lion more cloud based and iOS-like. After that, iOS and Mac OS will be released at then same time with the same name.

Just my guess.

Agreed, Mountain Lion would seem the way to go before they scrap the cat convention and possibly start a new one if they went to Mac OS 11.

Regarding the unification of the Mac OS and iOS, I'm all for it as long as they do it right, somehow.

dotheDVDeed

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Hey Tee Cee!

Why of course

TOP CAT!

Attachments

• top_cat.jpg
    top_cat.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 602

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
OS 10.8 - Domesticated Short Hair. :D

I think the speculation that we could be at the end of the feline naming scheme could be correct. With that in mind, what do you think the next naming progression will be based upon?

Canines... OSXI - Maltese?
Insects... OSXI - Praying Mantis?
Automobiles... OSXI - Compact Sedan?
Sexual Positions... OSXI - Reverse Cowgirl?
Foods... OSXI - Chinese Takeout? (get it?)
Sports... OSXI - Racquetball

Too many options... so little time. :)

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
OS 10.8 - Domesticated Short Hair. :D

I think the speculation that we could be at the end of the feline naming scheme could be correct. With that in mind, what do you think the next naming progression will be based upon?

Canines... OSX - Maltese?
Insects... OSX - Praying Mantis?
Automobiles... OSX - Compact Sedan?
Sexual Positions... OSX - Reverse Cowgirl?
Foods... OSX - Chinese Takeout? (get it?)
Sports... OSX - Racquetball

Too many options... so little time. :)

I like the insect world..... or spiders! Oh yeah. 11.1 - Tarantula!!!!!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
10.8 ? they work hard on iOS 6 to get rid of OSX , as they want like microsoft with windows8 a operating system that can run on all platforms from iPhone to MacPro .

OSX Lion got already some of the features of iOS , to make the next transition easier for the consumers

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
10.8 ? they work hard on iOS 6 to get rid of OSX , as they want like microsoft with windows8 a operating system that can run on all platforms from iPhone to MacPro .

It would make no sense for them to 'get rid of OS X' at this time. Apple has a different philosophy than Microsoft, which is that a tablet fundamentally requires a different UI than a desktop OS that is used with a mouse and keyboard, and obviously vice versa. Apple will continue to pick elements and ideas from iOS and adapt them for the Desktop, but they are not just going to make the UI one and the same. I think Microsoft are deluding themselves when they believe that using a tablet UI with a mouse and keyboard could ever be a great experience. Their 'have your cake and eat it too'-compromise is obviously to additionally offer a legacy desktop UI. This necessarily introduces a lot of inconsistency and redundancy though (e.g. your system now includes two versions of Internet Explorer, system preferences are presented in a tablet UI, but more advanced ones suddenly switch to the legacy UI). It would be very unlike Apple to copy that approach.

Last edited:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
It would make no sense for them to 'get rid of OS X' at this time. Apple has a different philosophy than Microsoft, which is that a tablet fundamentally requires a different UI than a desktop OS that is used with a mouse and keyboard, and obviously vice versa. Apple will continue to pick elements and ideas from iOS and adapt them for the Desktop, but they are not just going to make the UI one and the same. I think Microsoft are deluding themselves when they believe that using a tablet UI with a mouse and keyboard could ever be a great experience. Their 'have your cake and eat it too'-compromise is obviously to additionally offer a legacy desktop UI. This necessarily introduces a lot of inconsistency and redundancy though (e.g. your system now includes two versions of Internet Explorer, system preferences are presented in a tablet UI, but more advanced ones suddenly switch to the legacy UI). It would be very unlike Apple to copy that approach.

the majority of all in one pc's are sold with touchscreen today , and for the other desktops more an more touchscreens get sold ,even some netbooks come already with touchscreens only Apple doesn't follow the trend ..ok on a 27" display a touchscreen would be ridiculous (far to big to be of any use, apart for entertainment of the people watching you ) like using a keyboard on a iPad (which transforms it to a rather expensive netbook in terms of specs)
But you dont have to look for the enterprice world , look in the consumer world ,people are used to touchscreens now and a lot consumers want them on all devices now , because the vast majority just use their computer for surfing and emailing and not much else , tasks that are made for touchscreens ....click , zoom in /out , click

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
the majority of all in one pc's are sold with touchscreen today , and for the other desktops more an more touchscreens get sold ,even some netbooks come already with touchscreens only Apple doesn't follow the trend

There's a reason for that. Apple have claimed, and I tend to agree with them, that for prolonged use, touch only makes sense on a more or less horizontal plane, as otherwise your arms will get tired if you have to hold them up in the air. I wouldn't want to have to continually touch my laptop display (as it exists in its current form), and certainly not the large display that's standing upright on my desk right now...

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
the majority of all in one pc's are sold with touchscreen today ,

The only ones that seem to sell well and are immune to market downturns are iMacs. Those aren't touchscreen computers. Because Apple knows that in its current state, that sort of technology is inappropriate for that device from a usability standpoint.
and for the other desktops more an more touchscreens get sold ,even some netbooks come already with touchscreens only Apple doesn't follow the trend ..ok on a 27" display a touchscreen would be ridiculous (far to big to be of any use, apart for entertainment of the people watching you ) like using a keyboard on a iPad (which transforms it to a rather expensive netbook in terms of specs)
But you dont have to look for the enterprice world , look in the consumer world ,people are used to touchscreens now and a lot consumers want them on all devices now , because the vast majority just use their computer for surfing and emailing and not much else , tasks that are made for touchscreens ....click , zoom in /out , click

These haven't really taken off. In any case, if they were that popular and market-defining, we'd see touchscreen Macs. And as it stands, non-touchscreen Macs (basically, *all* Macs) sell in record numbers and are in very high demand, despite cheaper (probably touchscreen-capable) options.

Touchscreen tech on traditional consumer "computers" so far has not been done right. It's due for some Apple-style innovation or due for a viable replacement altogether (tablets, or rather, iPad, at this point.)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas

I think the key is that users who want a touch screen for just surfing and emailing will become tablet users, which in Apple's case means an iPad with iOS. The users who want and need more substantial software and hardware for things like photo and video work, coding, design, etc. etc. will be computer users (desktop/laptop) and will still need a full OS that is not dependent upon touch input only.

We're not to the point yet that the OS's can merge and touch can replace the keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think the key is that users who want a touch screen for just surfing and emailing will become tablet users, which in Apple's case means an iPad with iOS. The users who want and need more substantial software and hardware for things like photo and video work, coding, design, etc. etc. will be computer users (desktop/laptop) and will still need a full OS that is not dependent upon touch input only.

We're not to the point yet that the OS's can merge and touch can replace the keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

Well said, and I agree completely.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
Guys, you realise that OS X and iOS are already "merged" as much as they can be right ? It's not like Apple is maintaining 2 completely individual code bases here. What can be merged already has been, and the "differences" you see between both OSes are what can't be merged (ie, the UI). On this point, they will never merge. You will never see UIKit's touch based system on OS X and you will never see AppKit's keyboard/mouse UI style on iOS.

Aside from those points, the OSes are the same.

It's not so much that they will "merge" from a code or API standpoint. We are in the transition period now, where both are still developing and distinct. Eventually, one will survive and the other will be phased out.

The Apple II to Macintosh transition period lasted nine years. The products never merged, even though the Apple IIgs incorporated several Macintosh features including a Macintosh-like interface. But they never merged. Ultimately, one line ceased to exist and the other continued.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The Mac OS names match up with the names of Mac OS clone names sold in England at one time. A short time, it seems.

EveryMac.com

Lion
Tiger
Panther
Leopard
Jaguar
Puma
Cheetah

Where the Apple "Big Cat" Names Came From - so this says...

Lynx is trademarked by Apple, so that one goes next.

These are the true "Big Cats". Apple is out of names and has re-used Cougar.

Tiger
Lion
Jaguar
Leopard
Cheetah
Cougar (aka. Puma and Mountain Lion)
Snow Leopard
Clouded Leopard

I don't think they will use Clouded Leopard...

Dale

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Mountain lion is not some kind of bad azz lion it's a cougar, also know as a puma. It's a third to half the size of a lion; 110 to 220 lbs vs 330 to 500lbs.

Oh, and they sound like babies screaming when they "howl."

There will never be an OS X Mountain Lion or Cougar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.