Guess what!!! I need your opinion real quick!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by APPLEFAN8, Jul 14, 2008.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

My contract for verizon ends in October and in October I turn 18 and I have a good paying job making around 400 a month. My question is should I get of my parents family plan in October when I turn 18 and my contract is terminated and get the Iphone or should I stick and get the LG Voyager or Dare for Verizon? I mean i'll be 18 and I want an Iphone. What do you guys think I should do?

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Re-evaluate your life? I made more than $400 bucks a month when I was 16...

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This reminds me of another thread that was started by someone who needed a quick opinion. Turns out he had several weeks to decide.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, ask yourself if you can afford it... $400 a month is a lot for some and little for others. Make a budget for yourself and see if it fits. Keep in mind that the initial purchase is the easy part. ;)

Good luck!

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I am assuming it is only a part time job @ $400/month. However, I would say if you pay for other bills (say gas for instance) I would say an iPhone is not your best choice. Also, if there is any chance you won't have this job in a few months, I wouldn't get one either. You should build up a nice cushion of money first before jumping into a 2 year contract (and the monthly charge on the contract aint cheap either).

6. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Just answer the question! Should I or shouldn't I? I am getting a raise to 9 bucks and hour and at 16 I wasn't working lol. I had a summer job where I made only 1500 for the summer.

7. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

My car gets 35 mpg per gallon highway and 28 city! lol its a 1989 camry I got for free and the way gas is now I love this car! It only costs 50 to fill up and I get around 435 miles when I'm on the highway.

8. SqB macrumors 6502

My Opinion

Live like a pauper, put every dime you can into savings/investment/retirement, go to college, get a good job, go to graduate school. When the cost of something like an iPhone becomes trivial to you, then you should buy it.

Work hard, be prudent, retire early.

You asked for opinions ;)

9. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Great point Sqb. Check out: http://www.geekculture.com/mt2/archives/2008/07/buy_an_iphone_o_1.html

10. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I know i'm going to college in a year(Rutgers) and my dad has the college money saved I have over 7,000 in the bank from since I was little from birthdays and special events.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Not exactly how I'd put it, but I do agree. If you have to ask, "Can I afford <blank>", then you probably can't.

12. SqB macrumors 6502

I guess another way to put it would be to say that the iPHone is an entertainment expense. Make a budget,
    HTML:
    http://beingfrugal.net/2008/03/03/how-to-make-a-budget/
    determine how much you can afford for entertainment purposes and then you'll know if you can afford it.

Now having said that, at your age, I would have bought it in a NY minute :p

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

sorry to break it to you but 400$ a month is nothing...

1. you said 50 to fill you tank, lets say you fill up 2 times a month (that is being generous)
    2.70 a month for service(basic US package)

do you pay for your own insurance? do you have a gf that you would like to ever get laid by, cause if you do that costs $, do you provide the cash yourself for the repairs on your old ass car if any are ever needed?

well lets just say no to all those questions. that means

100(unreal amount per month but ok)+70(basic package, no sms, no extras)+the initial 199 for the cheap 3G=370$

so just the first month you have an iphone it will cost you all but 30$ that your well paying job provides you.

so my opinion dont get it, or better yet talk you parents into buying it for your 18th bday

14. SqB macrumors 6502

Best idea yet!

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Don't do it.
    Look at it this way, if you make $400 a month:
    Purchasing the 8 GB iPhone will take 50% of a month's income.
    The monthly bill will be (roughly) 20% of your income every month.
    You can't afford it.

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Just buy whatever you want and put it on your credit cards. It doesn't matter what things cost... just charge it! When the personal credit bubble bursts, the government will likely step in and bail you out. If you are lucky, you won't even have learned any lessons. But you'll have a shiny new iphone and that's what is important.

17. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

the cheapest iphone plan with 200 texts with taxes is 90 bucks a month

thats a little much when you only make 400 a month.

18. Warpdrv macrumors member

Figure the service plan for the phone can run $120.00, and thats being generous for a young person, I would think you would talk more then that.

$30 data plan mandatory, $20 unlimited txt plus a plan $80.00 for 1400 minutes. that $130.00 a month for a phone alone... Thats alot of money for someone who makes as little as you do.... and that doesn't count the taxes...

Id say, Stick with what you have... or get another job..

19. DanielQ macrumors member

I make $400 a month-ish and I'm getting the iphone. I'm 18.

20. AppleSpice macrumors member

I think the most important thing to do is to figure out, like others said, a budget. Figure out what you will be spending each month, and see what you have left in both situations (having an iPhone and not).

Asking for it for your birthday is always a good option too. Also, do you pay for your current plan now? or do your parents still pay for it? If they do, heck, why not ask if they might contribute to the new plan too?

With that income, I would personally do it, but that being said, I pay for basically nothing in my life :rolleyes:

21. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

lmao that is funny. better yet you could get your self so far into debt that the gov actually pays you, then you will make more than 400$ a month and you can marry a really fat chick and start popping out kids, you get extra for every kid you pop out. so this could be the best decision of your life to get an iphone. i say go for it!

22. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

They are buying it for me for my b-day! lol

23. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Well I am going to be working around 30 hours a week at 9 bucks and hour so around 600 in a check then after taxes like 545 I guess. I was going to get 1500 a month for 15 bucks and the basic 70 a month so there is 85 right there! I didn't know there was a 30 dollar data plan! So 115 a month! A little unsure, i'll talk it over with my parents!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. View macrumors regular

I'd say if you really want it, and you can keep up the $600/month instead of $400, then I think you PROBABLY can IF you only pay the gas and nothing else except food.
    545 - 100(iPhone Bill, say 70+15 = 85 + $15 tax, Oh, Data is included with $70 plan) - 120(Gas, assume you fill up a little more than twice a month) = 325. Is $325 enough for food / school expense? ask your self that.
    Also, if you have to pay for the phone ($199/$299), then you might have another question to ask yourself. :)

25. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Yes i'll be making much more then 400 for my job! Trust me, I mean I already have my car insurance for the next 2 years saved and my dad half the time fills up my car when we go to drag races that are over 200 miles away. So I think i'll be fine imo. If I come up short(Doubt it) they said they'll pitch in some money but I don't think that will happen.