iPad Guess what... (iPad purchase)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kristalsoldier, Feb 10, 2014.

1. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Hi all...

Some of you may recall (unlikely though) that I have the iPad4 and have been tossing around the idea of replacing it with the Air.

I agonized over it - made a number of excuses - justified holding off the Air and being in favour of it in turn.

Well, today, I got myself the Air - 32GB, Slate Grey, Black, WIFI, with a red Smart cover!

I spent about 45 mins at the local Apple Store...transferred all my stuff from the iPad 4 to the Air (seamlessly!), reset the iPad 4 to factory conditions and it will be going on sale within the week!

First impressions (which will be nothing new to you!): Light (immensely so as compared to the iPad 4), no crashes thus far, it looks striking - the slate grey and the red cover. If I had to describe it in one word - Svelte!

Cheers!

2. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Nice pick up!! You won't regret it!

Not a day goes by that I don't pick up the air and think how much more I like the form factor of the Air over the 4.

7.1 should make it quite the optimal tablet.... Here's to hoping!!

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's a stunning product.

Especially in Space Grey like yours. Such a gorgeous finish.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I wish i could get it, i feel like holding off until the air is updated.

5. Atrin1 macrumors regular

same setup i have! space grey with red smart cover. looks awesome!

enjoy!

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I have the iPad 4 and am contemplating the iPad Air. I played with one in a local store and was amazed that Apple was able to fit everything in that small and light device. Good job!

7. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Yeps! Its excellent! I love the form-factor. And, either it is a placebo effect or something has changed, but I do think that stuff flows smoother on the Air - for example, moving around PDFs in PDF Expert is like a hot knife through butter! Same with the transition between screens. Yet to try browsing though and when I do, I will be using Mercury Browser rather than Safari (which I really don't like).

Will keep you all posted with my growing impressions - not that it will be worth anything as it is only my opinion.

----------

Well, I was in your boat till about 3-4 hours back. If you have the funds, do it!!! I am not sure 2GB of RAM (as is expected in the upcoming iPad later this year - whenever it is released) will do anything more significant if you do run-of-the-mill stuff like I do (which is basically reading and very minor surfing).

8. kristalsoldier, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Thanks! One question: Do you have a backcover? Or something that protects the back? And, is the body (metal section) prone to being scratched?

Edit: Yeah...sorry...space grey NOT slate grey as I wrote earlier! Sorry.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am glad you enjoyed your new toy. I just bought an Apple black smart cover to match space grey last week. :apple:

10. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

I saw that combination. It does look damn good! But the grey and red combo really caught my eye! I just worry about the back - should I get a cover for it or not. I had the Speck transparent cover for the back and it was really handy in the sense that (1) it kept the back in pristine condition and (2) I could put it on any surface without bothering too much. On the other hand, it increased the bulk of the iPad and naturally gave it a bit of heft too. The Air is very svelte (I like that word) and I would not like to mess than up with a backcover. But then again, I don't want the space grey part to get all scratched etc. And, I do take my iPad out everyday to work and use it for at least 4-5 hours (min) a day.

11. dannynjoni macrumors member

I just want to chime in to say I think you will be very happy. The Air really grows on you! It's the smaller and thinner size, and especially the weight difference. Never mind the ridiculously improved speed. I'm so glad I took the plunge myself!

12. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I have the same problem with my retina mini, I like the thinness to it but if dropped it I there isn't anything protecting it.

13. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

So, what do you do? Do you have a cover for the back?

----------

Thanks! yep...absolutely enjoying it...!!! Glad I got it...finally!

14. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I have a skinomi full body cover for it right now

15. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

I saw a video of how to put it on...scary!!!! How is it working out for you?

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

It's space gray. Slate was the color of the iPhone 5 an first iPad mini that was much blacker space gray is more gray In a space like way.

17. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Yes...I know..:eek:

I corrected myself in a previous post!

18. Atrin1 macrumors regular

i do not. seems like its holding up pretty well. i've had it maybe a month and a half and not one scratch. i was looking in to maybe getting a clear skin for the back.

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I was intimidated but it really isn't that hard, if you follow the directions you can get it on perfectly, then just squeegee the solution off and let it dry.

Putting the back part on was troublesome but its a much better process than any other screen protector i have had. highly recommended.

20. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Thanks. Something to think about!

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Sorry didn't read all the post:eek:

22. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Enjoy!
    I ended up using the Apple cover. The cutouts are exact and the overall appeal is charming and protective.

23. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

I considered it, but it adds to the bulk, which kinda kills the purpose of the Air. Nevertheless, this is something that I have to solve one way or another. Either that or get Apple's Accidental Damage cover (I hope that covers cosmetic issues) and be done with.

24. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

You CAN get it but you are choosing not to. That's fine but there really is no need for waiting. The air has been a beast for me since day one. Best tablet ever.

To the OP - congrats! Enjoy your new toy :)

25. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Yesterday I updated from a first gen iPad mini to the retina mini. I also got the space great with the red smart cover. I just like the way the red and the black go together. Just so sharp looking.

Last year when AT&T started the NEXT program I updated to the iPad 4, after I make that 12th payment I will then go in and update to the Air, by that time they may have the next gen out so we will see. I love my iPad 4 as much as the iPad mini.