guess what ...RAM question yahhhh

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iOrlando, Jul 31, 2008.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

ok..been searching for this...cant find it ...

Say i order a macbook with 1GB ....

I want 2GB

I Will go through crucial.com or whatever it is called...but wHat do I buy??
    2 of the 1GBs to fill the two slots in my macbook?

What does the macbook come with? Just 1 slot filled with 1GB? or 2 slots filled with 516 mb or something close?

Basically what do i need to buy from crucial to get 2GB. a 1GB to go with my exisiting macbook memory or a complete new 2GB?

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

3. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

ok and that was about $50 on the site....whereas apple charges $100. So its a $50 savings...does that sound about right to those who upgraded on their own?

Also..95% sure about this..but....say i have a problem with the mac down the road...and i have applecare....does it matter i put my own memory? will i get any problems...i think i have read the answer is no..but just double checking

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Guides : Hardware: MR Guide to Buying RAM

Guides : Hardware: MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM

We've covered this soooo many times before.

Go to the Apple store online - that will tell you what the particular Mac model is configured with.

You can take for granted that the MacBooks (with their integrated graphics) will always ship with a pair of RAM modules, so for the entry level machine that means 2 x 512. So you will have to buy 2 x 1 GB modules to make 2 GB.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

WillJS is correct, if the stock configuration on your MacBook is 1GB, then your MacBook currently has 2x512MB sticks, so to get 2GB of RAM, you will need a set that has 2x1GB sticks.

6. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

1) Yes, Apple charges waaaay to much for their RAM. It is known and highly recommended to upgrade the RAM in RAM upgradable machines yourself, in Apple's case.

2) I personally don't think it matters (I recently sent my MB in with two self-upgraded sticks of RAM still inside, the Genius simply noted this in my file). But, it's always a good idea to keep the original sticks around to put into the machine for either memory troubleshooting or sending in to Apple (I lost mine :().

7. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

ah okay..i keep forgetting you can simply take the memory in and out down the road. I have never replaced/upgraded memory on my current pcs.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I would think a better idea is to get 1x2gb to use with one of the 512mb sticks, that way you can have 2.5gbs for less.

9. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

It is extremely easy. :)

Then you lose the whole "Matched RAM Pairs, Dual Channel" thing.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Matched_RAM_on_Intel_Macs

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I know, but dual channel and ram speed in general tends to be overrated. I guess it depends if he will use more than 2gbs. Personally I would go with 2.5gbs, plus if he ever decides to go up to 4gbs it wont cost him nearly as much since he will already have a 2gb stick.

11. jroller macrumors regular

I think this is a good point, stainlessliquid.

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If you are going to upgrade the RAM you might as well go all out instead of wanting to upgrade down the road. RAM is cheap these days. Go 2X2. Newegg has some nice deals.

13. effer macrumors member

I would recommend 4GB as well. OS X and apps like Safari are a hog. With more RAM you won't have to quit programs or shutdown the notebook to free up memory very often, which is ideal.