Guesses for RAM type in new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DeeEss, Jun 24, 2011.

1. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

What are thoughts about RAM and the new Mac Pro's

Would be great to sell my 2010 6 core but I have 32GB of RAM that I could use in the new machine, any guesses to if it would work?

It's almost a stupid question, I know, but any ideas?

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Yes, it will probably work as both generations use DDR3.

3. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

yes it would probably work because all DDR3 RAM that is manufactured to spec should work in all DDR3 slots manufactured to spec (of course SO-DIMMs and DIMMs have different specs)

4. Bear macrumors G3

It should physically plug in. The issues that come up revolve around the speed of the RAM, if it's slower than what the system is designed for, at best it would slow the system down a tad.

At worst, it would actually not work. Systems are designed to handle a range of RAM speeds. Get ram that is slower than that range it won't work. Ram that is faster than the range will usually (but not always) work at the speed the system is designed for.

So the answer to your question is maybe.

5. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Follow up question: used to be that finding the correct RAM for your mac was a damn PITA.

Is it still the same? Do I have to be careful of latency, timing...

Thanks

Loa

6. Bear macrumors G3

Some of the major RAM companies update their sites very quickly when new Macs are released. Crucial is one of them.

7. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I know about such sellers, but often the Apple compatible RAM is a lot more expensive than other websites. Crucial is selling their 3X4GB for more than 200$, and I can get the same deal on newegg.ca (I live in Quebec), for Corsair memory, for 100$.

It doesn't say Apple compatible, but as my MP is Intel based, it "should" work. But will it?

Loa

8. Bear macrumors G3

Ah, I should've been a tad clearer. You can look there for the specs for the memory. Make sure you pay attention to everything including the terms "Registered" or "Unregistered" and such.

If you get memory with the right specs, it should work. And Newegg has a MemoryFinder feature. Have you tried using that?