guesses on new iMac price?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mr. Michael, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Mr. Michael macrumors newbie

New to the forum, looking forward to swapping back to Apple desktop after a 17 year hiatus (last Mac was a Performa in 1995-96, it was awesome).
    I am so looking forward to owning a Mac again for the UI, photo editing, etc...
    That being said, in the past with new Mac upgrades, do the prices tend to get bumped as well? Anyone have an idea on what the ballpark will be for the new models, based on current pricing?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Unless they do something radical like add a Retina display, the 2012 prices should be the same as the 2011.

3. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Pretty sure Apple will shoot for the same price ranges. The prices are fixed by more than profit margin and build cost. These ranges are chosen as marketing brackets, to great effect. Low end 21.5", $1199 = cheap and competitive to PC market. Middle $1499 - 1699 = for a few hundred dollars more, get a stronger system and/or a bigger monitor. High end $1999 = "our high end destop is less than $2000".

I don't think they want to mess with these ideals.

4. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

What happened, that's a long time suffering under windows.

5. Mr. Michael thread starter macrumors newbie

I know right?
    A big part of it was the limited software available for Apple computers (mostly games, I'm a huge FPS fan). Also, the fact that I was young meant that I used whatever my parents purchased. There was a Compaq and a Sony Vaio since then. When I struck out on my own, I never even considered a Mac, as the price was hard to justify. But now I'm jonesin' bad to get back to the Mac!

Glad to hear about the pricing structure remaining the same. *whew!*