Guesstimation for refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nvcplus, Mar 9, 2011.

  1. nvcplus macrumors regular

    Feb 23, 2011
    When do you think the next MBA refresh will be?

    I am sure they will add thunderbolt. Most likely Sandy Bridge. Anything else?

    Will they mess with the design again as well? I know they probably want to get it even thinner than it is now :)
  2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Oct 14, 2010
  3. entatlrg macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    Spring/summer 2012

    Air's haven't been updated annually yet.
  4. zinka macrumors regular

    Nov 27, 2009
    Signs point to June, but no one really knows. I would expect the same case with faster CPUs and integrated 3G.
  5. Peacemaker macrumors member

    Jun 8, 2009
    Statistically, that is true. However, I doubt Apple has that many core 2 duo chips to hold on till spring/summer 2012. I anticipate a move to sandy bridge in June.

  6. test45 macrumors newbie

    Mar 9, 2011
    So would people suggest waiting on a MBA purchase until June at this point?

    From what I've seen the change to Sandybridge isn't completely straightforward as despite the boost in CPU power it will replace the existing graphics setup?

    Also could the release of OSX Lion in the summer impact any refresh plans (or should it be a reason to hold off getting a MBA)?
  7. zinka macrumors regular

    Nov 27, 2009

    1) I plan to. It depends how imminently you need a computer.

    2) Yes. Graphics performance may be slightly worse. CPU performance will be far better.

    3) The only effect I anticipate is that the new machines may come with Lion preinstalled, saving you the cost of the upgrade. Other than that, it's unlikely to have an effect.
  8. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

    Jul 17, 2007
    Yeah, I'm definitely waiting until the next upgrade. I have no real need for this computer (please don't tell the wife), but have been wanting to replace my two year old netbook.
  9. nvcplus thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 23, 2011
    That is why I was thinking they might refresh. It seems the minimum to run Lion is going to be a c2d (and nothing lower than the current processor speed of the low end MBA?). I was thinking they might roll out a refresh before or around the launch of Lion.

    Well, I was hoping actually. I am going to get a MBA before the summer whether it updates or not.
  10. nvcplus thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 23, 2011
    omglolrolfilarious! You are sooooooo funny!!! :d :d :d seruioysly i just ******* meself!
  11. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 16, 2010
    august...about 9-10 months after this versions release
  12. nvcplus thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 23, 2011
    Why do you say that? Because the last one took that long?
  13. omgo macrumors newbie

    Oct 23, 2010
    well, i remember an article about core 2 duos last year in summer about intel selling only whats left.. plus u can see that sales of MBA were incredible over past few months, i highly doubt that intel can provide enough chips for apple for another year.. even apple did not expect such a high demand for MBAs...
    ...i think this summer- new chips, thunderbolt instead of displayport, intel graphics, 720p facetime camera and maybe even backlit keyboard- but that depends on whether there is enough room under the keyboard..
    i think all these specs. are obvious
    i just hope my MBA ultimate will hold its value so that i can sell it fast:)
  14. namtaB macrumors regular

    Feb 22, 2011
    I think a processor switch is inevitable at this point. But I wouldn't expect any changes to the SSD, display, ports, or anything else for sometime - 2012 at the earliest is my guess. I'm not convinced that thunderbolt will make it to the MBA just yet, I think Apple will want the MBP to monopolize that for a while.
  15. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

    Feb 9, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    May I ask why You don't think they will put a Thunderbolt port in the MBA's next refresh?
  16. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Dec 17, 2009
    I question the ability to add thunderbolt to the MBA, at least not the 11" MBA. Have you all seen the size of the chip needed for thunderbolt? It would be impressive to see that tucked into the 11" MBA. Now the 13" MBA, no problem.
  17. namtaB macrumors regular

    Feb 22, 2011
    Its a better business decision to let the MBP monopolize it for awhile until light peak penetrates the market a bit more. It gives the MBP bragging rights to a technology that at this moment in time is relatively useless b/c the rest of the market needs to catch up. Right now the MBA doesn't need thunderbolt to be competitive and it makes no sense to me to add thunderbolt to the MBA at the next refresh, assuming that's going to be this summer. Rather, what the MBA needs to be competitive is a processor swap and that's what I expect to see as the only upgrade in the next refresh. If you've watched Apple over the last few years, they seem to refresh just enough to be competitive but never to the point where they blow their load all at once.
  18. intervenient macrumors 6502a

    Jul 9, 2010
    I hope they retain the same price points. I was hurting for cash when I got my 11. Now I could afford to go $1200 for a storage upgrade.
  19. Patrick946 macrumors regular

    Jun 21, 2009
    So far, Macbook Air has been released:

    January 2008
    October 2008
    June 2009
    October 2010

    There's not a clear pattern like there is with yearly iPhone updates. Even though there is a rumor that there will be a June refresh, it could easily be October. Also, the refresh could be minor, there's no guarantee that it's worth waiting for.

    Personally, I'm waiting for the back to school sale before buying, because if I sell the iPod and printer it's $400 off the normal price! That's not going to start until late May/early June, and if rumors are more solid about a MBA update or Lion's release date by then I might wait an extra month or so. Generally though, waiting for the next update is a fools game. Unless you know there is going to be a big update around the corner, just buy a computer when you need it.
  20. ghileman, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

    ghileman macrumors regular

    Feb 4, 2008

    i'm sitting on my Rev B, expect we'll see something before Oct. 11, possibly in the June timeframe according to CNET:

    in addition to Sandy Bridge (which apparently will deliver an extra 1-2 hours in battery), maybe Thunderbolt.

    One thing not mentioned: I'd definitely expect an HD iSight camera.
  21. entatlrg macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    LOL, Cnet has a very poor track record for predictions. June maybe, but 2012 not 2011. :)
  22. amt2002 macrumors regular

    Jul 18, 2008
    JUNE for Sandy Bridge, backlit keyboard (hopefully), thunderbolt (possibly) and SDXC card reader.

    They did the same with the 13" unibody macbook which morphed into the 13" Macbook pro 8 months later, with backlit keyboard, integrated battery, firewire (after public outcry) etc.
  23. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

    Jun 27, 2004
    Are you kidding me? Have you ever looking at an Air release schedule? (Luckily another poster provided one here: )

    So the air was updated 3 x in 18 months? That's "not annually"? You have a very short term memory. The Problem has been the Intel/Nvidia lawsuit and NAND prices.

    Now that Apple is (seemingly) satisfied with SB graphics - in the 13" MBP - I see no reason why they wouldn't move to Sandy Bridge in the MBA. I agree with Patrick in that:

    I would say it could easily be June. And if not then, I bet October again (before the presumably big christmas rush.

    Where are you getting this 2012 stuff from? Apple letting a computer product stagnate for 18+ months (let alone one that made up 40% of Apple's laptop sales last quarter) is ludicrous.

    Also, CNET were the ones that broke the Sandy Bridge coming to the 13" w/o any other graphics chip news as well as important info on Thunderbolt, so where is this whole they have a poor track record thing coming from?
  24. Xeperu macrumors 6502

    May 3, 2010
    Days Since Update 142 (Avg = 336)

    So the best guestimation I can give now is March 10 + 6.5 months. Say, october 2011.

Share This Page