Guest Account at Login

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Is there a way to disable the guest account from showing up on the log-in screen? It just bugs me. I have the account disable and no reason to ever use it. It's already disabled in the system preferences, but it still shows up....

thanks

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
What do you mean by "The account is disabled". I don't see any option to "disable" accounts in the preferences. There is an option "Allow guests to log in to this computer", which I do not have checked. Guest does not show up on my login screen.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
What do you mean by "The account is disabled". I don't see any option to "disable" accounts in the preferences. There is an option "Allow guests to log in to this computer", which I do not have checked. Guest does not show up on my login screen.
Attached is a screen shot showing that.

I found one solution could be to enter my name in whenever I want to log-in, but I don't like that. I'd like to simply have the one log-in bubble thing that i can click and enter my password.

Attachments

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Is there a way to disable the guest account from showing up on the log-in screen? It just bugs me. I have the account disable and no reason to ever use it. It's already disabled in the system preferences, but it still shows up....

thanks
same here, i wonder if anyone can help thanx in advance!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Lion, I take it.

To disable, go to the "Security & Privacy" System Preference Pane and check the box "Disable restarting to Safari when screen is locked".

Obvious, isn't it. :)

This is a new "feature". It isn't a true guest account but just a Safari access. It's there to trick thieves into using the computer so that the computer can be located.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Lion, I take it.

To disable, go to the "Security & Privacy" System Preference Pane and check the box "Disable restarting to Safari when screen is locked".

Obvious, isn't it. :)

This is a new "feature". It isn't a true guest account but just a Safari access. It's there to trick thieves into using the computer so that the computer can be located.
Well if that's the case I'll just leave it. Unless maybe there is a security risk associated with that?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Doesn't seem to be a security risk, although I personally don't like having an invitation for strangers to use my system. I've also gone to the plain login screen (without names). The list of names is a security risk.