Guest Account Data Bug, Just lost everything, about to have a heart attack.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Final Cut, Oct 20, 2009.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

Ok

1) my last time machine backup was 2 weeks ago
    2) I have working on serveral college essays
    3) I never have had leopard this 13" base macbook pro came with snow leopard , bought less than 2 months ago.
    4)will data recovary get it back?
    5) should I go to the apple store (the CS rep told me too) but I have other somewhat questionable files and such all over the old account, I feel a total loss of privacy. What can they possibly do that i cant. I feel like the phone rep knew less than I did about the bug.
    6) I am very upset with apple.
    7) My account basically turned into a guest account, i had a guest on the laptop but figured since I never had the original leopard I was fine.

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

This might be a dumb question, but if you were the Admin, then you did you need to log in as a Guest?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Especially that the account has been registered in September, and there is no way the user didn't know anything about it.

Not fixed in 10.6.1, but fix seeded in 10.6.2. Read the front page people.
    FYI, out of millions of Snow Leopard users, less than 1% ran into the problem.

4. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

I just upgraded no luck still the same. I have not been keeping up with updates lately because I have had no internet service. I was at the login screen my disc ejected and I went into the my account , after typing password, and boom, I got owned. So consultant where does this leave me, if I wait for the release can I get my stuff back or only be protected from the issue in the future :(.

5. professorjay macrumors member

What's the point of mentioning this?

6. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

Please Im not apple bashing here, but 1% of 1 million experiencing total data loss is VERY devastating especially for a company with values based on experiencing data security.

7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Consult, thanks for the correction.

OP, sorry for the wrong advice. I guess the only thing you can do is try a find a backup, or wait for the 10.6.2 update? I would think it should be out between now and next week at some point, since people are saying it is referenced in the Magic Mouse booklet.

8. professorjay macrumors member

I agree, that's my point. The fact is it happened to YOU, so whether it happens to 1000 other people or not is irrelevant to your situation. A catastrophic bug like this is not acceptible.

BTW, maybe Google for data recovery software for Macs. It might be able to save what's been deleted. I've used similar software on Windows machines and it worked. You might have to pay, but if this data is that valuable, then it's probably worth it.

9. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but again will that fix my issue or the possibilty of the issue in the furture? Also, if I go to my 2-3 week old backup would the update still help? Im guessing "no" against the board.

10. Meltdown macrumors newbie

Any such bugs that result in data loss are of course unacceptable, and it's a shame you experienced this.

However, the responsibility is still always yours to have an up to date backup. I backup every day, and particularly if I'm writing essays, I'll have my TM drive plugged in so that it saves every hour.

Best of luck getting your data back.

11. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

OP, i would say no. If you had you files totally done at the time of you last backup, then yes, time machine should bring it back. However, if you completed this backup two weeks ago, and finished your essays two days ago, TM will not bring them back. TM will just take you back to your last TM state.

Maybe, hopefully, it would have a partial saved essay somewhere, but only you would know that. Good Luck.

12. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

that brings the old issue "back up" again on the table
    always make a backup , dont backup on external harddrives alone ,as they can break down , the old round thing called cd /dvd is still the best way to backup important data and if the file is realy small ..just do a backup on the good old floppy disc , i still have floppy`s from 1986 around with still readable data on them
    ok it might be a bit paranoia ,, but i do more backups then needed one on external hdd and one on cd when i work on important things i do it basically after every sentence , and after the work is done complete i backup on dvd

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are well documented ways how NOT to run into the problem.

Out of millions of users, there are only cases in the low hundreds.

OS X comes with easy to use back up. Inexcusable not to do it.

Depends on how much the data is worth, you can try a data recovery software.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

15. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

BEST SOLUTION! MAKE APPLE DO YOUR ESSAYS! lol

16. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Consultant, stop being a douche.

having a macrumors account is not some solemn oath to keep appraised of everything posted, even if it has gotten a fair bit of publicity. trying to imply the OP is irresponsible for not knowing about this bug is just being condescending and not helping anyone.

i'd be curious to know your source unless you've knocked on every snow leopard user's door. also, even 1% would be 10,000 systems for every million. and whats your point anyway? that if a usage scenario isn't very common its ok for it to be catastrophically broken? someone could sucker punch you in the head and it might be the only time it ever happens to you (although your online personality might suggest otherwise)... but that doesn't minimize how unpleasant the experience is (i don't condone violence, btw).

backups are a very wise decision, but until all computers ship with a second physical drive, they are still an added expense. it maybe perilous to proceed without one, but again, saying its "inexcusable" is just being a self-righteous ass, again. the OP did say he has a backup from 2 weeks ago, and you have no idea what the circumstances may have been that prevented him from backing up in the interim (travel, etc). oh, and time machine is easy to use, but its also frozen my system on several occasions, so nothing is perfect.

anyway, sorry to the OP. my comment wasn't very helpful, but you certainly have my sympathy, and I hope you find a resolution!

17. professorjay macrumors member

Well said SteveMiller.

OP, a quick Google search shows there are several free demos you can try to recover this data. Please let us know if any work for future reference.

BTW, I use Dropbox (2 gb free) to backup and sync my important files so it's instantaneous and you don't need to bother w/ connecting and disconnecting external drives.