Guest Account on Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adizam, Feb 2, 2010.

1. adizam macrumors newbie

I really like the guest account feature that Leopard (and I'm assuming Snow Leopard) provides.

I just got my first Macbook Pro... about a year old running Leopard... part of a client deal (you Mac people just got another application developer interested :)).

Anyway.. I'm wondering... I"m getting rid of a few of my other computers on craigslist in the coming weeks and my girlfriend always wants to check her facebook. I'd prefer not to have her accidentally close something important so I setup & configured the guest account. I installed the server admin tools to fully customize the dock/etc.

Two questions however:

1: Thus far the guest account cannot access HTTPS (secure sites) websites. Not in Safari or Google Chrome. Is this an option somewhere? Something I'm missing? I've tried googling for about 30 minutes and have come up blank.

2: Without overwriting the default profile setup (incase I ever want to create new profiles)... is there a way to set a few default things for the Guest user? FOr instance... I know it wipes everything on close... I want it to remember that Google Chrome & Safari have run before (annoying that it asks "do you want this to be the default browser?.. or running the initial safari video).

Feel free to get as technical as you want... as I said I'm a seasoned linux & windows developer getting into the Mac world :).

Cheers!

A.

2. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Well this isn't exactly a technical answer, but why don't you just set up a second user account for her? Enable fast user switching as well, and then you don't need to worry about logging back out and logging back in, plus it will save all her settings, favourites etc.

Sorry if I've missed a reason why you can't do this, but it seems pretty obvious to me!

Oh and the Guest Account is really just a better, larger-scale implementation of Google Chrome's "incognito" mode - and we all know what that's really for. Oh that's right of course - for planning surprise birthday parties! :rolleyes: ;)