Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
On a Mac with El Capitan and FileVault enabled, is it possible to get access to the Safari history of the Guest account once the Mac has been restarted?

I ask as it would be useful to find some info on a site that was looked at in the Guest account.

I’m guessing that it’s not possible, that once the Mac reboots, all history/caches/cookies are gone...?

Thanks

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
The built in Guest User account will always clear all data in the Guest User profile when the user logs out.

You could always create a non-admin user called Guest Account. That account would keep all data after logout or reboot. But, then you would have to manually clean it app in-between users.

Reactions: InfiniteLoopy

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks.

That’s what I thought.

It was just to recover something looked at in the Guest account.

Also, the Mac rebooted, and was Safari-only. Is that the same as the Guest account (meaning, it can’t be recovered either)?

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
The guest option that reboots you into a Safari-only mode works pretty much the same as a normal guest account. If you have FileVault and the guest account enabled, then choosing the guest account on the FileVault login will reboot your computer to that mode, and all data will be cleared when you log out/restart.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
And, a restart is not even needed. Logging out is enough to reset any changes made in the guest account.
If you want data to ba saved, and that is important to you, then disable the guest account, and set up a user account, which could be a standard account, very much the same as Guest user, except files and browser history would be saved. That might be a better choice for you.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Thanks.

That’s what I thought.

It was just to recover something looked at in the Guest account.

Also, the Mac rebooted, and was Safari-only. Is that the same as the Guest account (meaning, it can’t be recovered either)?
Recovering stuff is a different question.

Step 1: Turn off Guest Account. (just a safety thing, little to do with file recovery)

You can recover files with something like foremost. Just recovered a bunch of files this morning from a "hacker's" wiped computer:
recovered.jpg

Two favorite things, early in the morning
  1. Smell of napalm
  2. Smug changing to fear

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.