Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I am considering having a roommate move in and letting them use my Mac. If I create them a guest account can I ensure that my e-mail and files will be secure by having this second account, or is there another way to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Creating a separate account for your room mate will suffice when your account is password protected, so that the room mate can't access your data.

Also make sure, you set the guest account to Standard and not Administrator, unless you want your room mate to administer your Mac.

Administrator: An administrator account user can create, delete, and modify accounts, install software, and change system settings. Since administrators have such broad access, you should limit the number of administrator accounts created.

Standard: Standard account users cannot administer other accounts, but can install software for their own use and change settings related to their accounts.

from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8235.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.