Guest login lets users see whats in my HARDDRIVE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goldengloves, Sep 6, 2010.

1. goldengloves macrumors newbie

I dont want users ( guests ) to see whats in my harddrive.

When I login to Guest account on my Imac , I can see my HD on the desktop , I can click on it and see all my pictures , music , every file !!!!!!

how to I block this???

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You need to turn of File Sharing of the relevant accounts within System Preferences > Sharing.

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

You can disable the Guest account entirely in the System Preferences Accounts pane.

But by default no user should be able to see anything inside your home folder except what's in your Public subfolder. So I'm guessing you've changed permissions on your home folder.

4. goldengloves thread starter macrumors newbie

No I went to sharing and theres nothing .

Can someone please explain to me step by step please!!!!!

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

In Finder's Go menu, select Desktop. When the Finder window opens, choose Get Info from Finder's File menu. At the bottom of the Desktop Info window that appears, you'll see a section for Sharing & Permissions. Open that section (if necessary) by clicking on the small triangle. According to the list there, who has the privilege of reading your Desktop? What I have are two entries:

(Me) Read & Write
    everyone No Access

What do you have?

6. goldengloves thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I went to the HD diskdrive icon on my desktop and did right click to get info.

I did no access =).

BUT , you explained differently .

I coudnt find the finders menu like u mentioned ... lol I felt like homer simpson when he coudnt find the "any key " lol ..

so wheres the finders menu?

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

Click on any empty portion of your Desktop to make Finder the active application. Look in the menubar at the top of the screen and you should see the word Finder next to the :apple: icon. That's what I meant. From there you can choose Go and then Desktop.

I'm trying to figure out what you current permissions/privilege settings are for folders inside your home directory. I picked Desktop just as a test.