Guest mode for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Four oF NINE, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Why isn't Apple would offering a guest mode for someone that needs to borrow a phone for a quick call? I'd be more willing to lend it out if doing so didn't grant access to the entire contents of the phone.

Something to consider when loaning out your phone.

2. HeezyBear, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

HeezyBear macrumors regular

If a person simply needs to make a call with your phone they can use the emergency call feature when your phone is locked so they don't have access to anything else.

Edit: So this is actually false. Even though it states Emergency Call, I always thought you could use it to dial anyone, but it is in fact only for emergency calls.

3. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Does another phone system offer this?

And how often are people loaning their phone out to make a call when they are not right there to take it back?

4. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

MIUI android is the only other system I know which offers this. It has a password to go abck to normal mode.

If your giving someone your phone to make a call, doesn't that mean you know them already and are next to them?

Or are you talking loaning your phone for a weekend and expecting it back with nothing modified?

5. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

iPhone
    i-Phone
    i= personal
    Phone=Phone

The iPhone is your personal phone. I don't see the need to have an exclusive Guest mode. I can understand a Kid mode since you may have to lend your phone to kids for them to play around, but a guest mode?

A guest mode may be more appropriate for devices like the iPad, but I can't imagine the full usefulness of a Guest mode on the iPhone.

6. Four oF NINE thread starter macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Yes, that part is correct, but I was wondering about a guest mode... What if you need to loan it out for a few hours?

7. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Why nobody mentioned guided access? A triple press of the home button in phone app, cover some buttons and that's it.

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I wouldn't lend my phone to anyone for a couple hours.
    I don't see the need for a guest mode

9. Four oF NINE thread starter macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

My 13 year old nephew frequently has to loan his phone to his 15 year old brother because the brother has had problems with losing and breaking phones in the past, and now he doesn't have one..

So he borrows his younger brother's iPhone, and he's been known to be a mischief maker with phones in the past.

10. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I barely trust people to use my MacBook Pro let alone my iPhone... People don't have any respect of other people's belongings. Guest Mode for iPhone is a useless feature; go hunt down a pay phone.

11. cualexander macrumors 6502a

Kids are so spoiled these days. I didn't get a cellphone until I was 18 and it was one of those candybar Nokia ones.

If I had kids, I'd be buying them a dumbphone. Smartphones are too distracting.

12. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Times are different.. This is current life now, back then, it was different.

13. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

iPad guest mode - I could see why you would want this. It would make sense for Apple to add it.

iPhone guest mode - I just don't see the point.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't see the point in having a guest mode.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That only works to call emergency services. Not always where someone needs to call.

----------

If you are loaning it out for a few hours then erase it. You have a backup you can restore when you get it back.

----------

So then perhaps his parents need to get him a flip phone and no to borrowing his brothers. I mean if he can't be responsible with his own iPhone . . .

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That shounds like way more of a hassle than a guest mode.

To be fair, its a feature that makes more sense on the iPad so this is would be an iOS feature, not an iPhone feature.

17. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

you can't call ANY number with that feature, only emergency calls

18. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

So, let me get this straight;

1. The nephew who is a troublemaker lost his phone. Just the device, not his phone privileges. See next item.
    2. The nephew who is NOT a troublemaker must lose the use of his phone, for hours, to the troublemaker.

Therefore;
    1. The only nephew who is adversely impacted is the one who behaves well.
    2. Apple should implement a guest feature in iOS to support this.

Makes sense to me.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I feel bad for the younger nephew.

20. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Just triple click the Home button to enable guided access while in the phone app, then circle the area that you don't want people accessing (favorites, recents, contacts, etc). That will keep them in the phone app and lock them out from anything else.

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Has to? There shouldn't be a "has to" in this situation.

22. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Wow, that's crazy. Had an iPhone forever and I was totally unaware of that. I thought you could call anyone. Thanks for explaining.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I just learned something new.

24. Northernist macrumors member

I would never loan my phone out for more than a phone call or two. There's absolutely no need for a guest mode; it would take longer to enable "guest mode" than it would to just stand there and hand them the phone to let them make their call.

If your 15 year old nephew is having trouble with breaking phones, maybe he shouldn't have a cell phone until he knows how to be responsible with one.. Especially an expensive Apple product.

If my kid kept breaking his iPhone I wouldn't keep buying him new ones or let him keep borrowing a younger brother's. He can pay for it himself and take some responsibility.

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I've always wanted to and never tried guided access until now. What you suggested is good but there is a loophole. In a call the controls show for mute/keypad/speaker/add call/FaceTime/ and contacts. Unless you can remove contacts from that screen you can access them in guided access mode. It's disappointing but is another example of how these features aren't thought through or fully baked.

OP: FWIW I think a guest or "phone only" mode would be handy.