Guest network with Airport Express as a secondary AP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jollino, Jan 8, 2015.

1. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

Hello all,
    I currently have a wifi network served by a TP-Link router, which I only use as a 'dumb' access point as I have a DSL modem/router that does the actual routing and acts as a DHCP server.

Since I'd like to expand the network *and* I need to set up a guest network, it looks like the Airport Express would be a perfect candidate.
    What I have in mind is:
    - Airport Express connected via Ethernet, so it wouldn't act as a repeater
    - DHCP server and client disabled (has a static IP on the existing subnet)
    - Has the same SSID as the existing network but on a different channel (this should let all wireless devices see a single, wider network, correct?)
    - Guest network set on a different subnet

Am I missing something, or is this all I need? I'm asking this because I've found reports of the Airport being little 'peculiar' in the way it's configured, i.e. it wants to be the main router or something like that. In my case it'd have to be content to be on the sidelines. :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In order to use the guest network an AirPort must either be in DHCP & NAT mode or in Bridge Mode with another AirPort handling the routing on the network.

3. jollino thread starter macrumors 6502

jollino

Hm, I could happily have it in DHCP mode, however if it *requires* another Airport I'd be out of luck...

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can run it in Double NAT and add it to the DMZ of the other router.

5. dyt1983, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

6. jollino thread starter macrumors 6502

jollino

Hmm it seems a relatively convoluted process for my setup and it would probably increase the costs quite a bit. I don't have particular need for Apple network hardware and I was considering the Express mostly because a friend mentioned that AirPort devices support a guest network, but I suppose I could find something cheaper that I can just hook up to a switch and set up both the extended network and the new guest network (all it takes internally is bridging them, after all.)
    Even if you can now hook up a USB drive to the 802.11ac Extreme for Time Machine, which is definitely a nice touch, €199 is quite a bit steep for my current needs :rolleyes:

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Express will work but you need to run it in a double NAT configuration if the main router is not an AirPort.