Guest Sharing alternative in older AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by beatledud, Aug 3, 2009.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

So I have an AEBS that's about 1.5 yrs old. I really like the guest sharing application for a current set up I'd like to make, but I realize that it's not available with my model.

Essentially, there is someone that lives in the apartment below me that wants to share the internet with me. I could use the extra cash, but I have all my media and data connected to my AEBS. Now I realize that you can password protect your HDs (which I do) but I really just don't want my neighbor on my network. Are there any alternatives? I have an old 802.11g Airport Express that I was going to connect wirelessly to the AEBS so my printer could connect to it, so that may be an option. What set ups or suggestions do you all have?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Why do you want to give your neighbors free internet? Can you put a password on Guest Sharing?

3. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

No, not free, as I said I want to save some money, she's willing to pay me like $20. However, I don't want to give her access to my network (even if it's all protected) and I'd like to limit her speed either via direct control or only giving her the g access on my airport express.

And my AEBS is over a year old, so no Guest sharing option...as I understand...

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Not worth it IMO. You will need a secondary router which will cost more than $20.

5. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

Um, again, like I said I have an extra router, an Airport Express. Would this work and how?

And yeah, if I had to buy a new one it would be more than $20, but it's not like it's a one time $20 I would get from my neighbor. I'd get $20 each month!

Any helpful ideas here?

6. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried hooking my express up to my aebs and chaning the wireless to b only. I got an Internet speed test that was about 30% of my aebs in wireless. I also couldn't see my externals. However, is there any security vulnerability with a basic setup? Is there anything I can do mire to make sure that no one accessing the express could hack into the network it's plugged into?

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If the guest network is plugged into the main network, it is possible to hack into the main network, but not easy. Not something you have to worry about with someone of moderate to low computer knowledge.

The most secure route is to have a main network that both the guest network and your network are plugged into.

8. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

Hrm, that would require purchasing more equipment...How would they be able to hack into the network (you can give me general overview and not how-to instructions, just curious how it could be possible). Are there any settings to be made to make it more secure too?

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Well, Bonjour from the main domain will not work on the guest domain, but it will be fairly easy to access these devices with enough network how-to. Again, the person will have to be very tech-savy and have the right tools.

To make it more secure, you have to change the hardware setup. A firewall is used by consumer routers to protect the network, but it only works on incoming traffic. If the traffic is already inside the network as it is in your current setup, the main network isn't protected from the guest network. The guest network is protected from the main network though.