Guhhh! I just killed my Mac Pro with a terminal entry!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Baytriple, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Baytriple, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

Baytriple macrumors 6502

Ok Im an idiot. I have a 2007 Mac Pro 2,1.

I was trying to get some 64 kernel stuff to work and I entered a command I found.

I then restarted my Mac pro and am getting the No Entry sign then the machine starts up.

I can see the drives fine on my laptop via Target disc mode.
    I can't even get the machine to start up via a USB Lion pressing the C key. Or Shift or S.

Here is the link to the thread
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3925326?start=0&tstart=0

Here is the code
    sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

Help please

2. icyderguru macrumors member

Boot into single user mode and run

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86

3. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

ok what I have done is removed the SSD start up drive that was in the machine and it now starts up with the USB lion installer disc.

Before I enter your text you kindly gave me. What does this do or not do to my machine? I guess you are telling it to not be 64, can I ever get my mac pro to run 64 bit?

4. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

It looks like it sets the kernel to boot in x86 mode (32 bit ?) as opposed to x86_64 which would be 64 bit.

5. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah I see, panic over now admin can delete this post as I have wiped the SSD drive and am installing the new software again.

I take it i will never be able to run 64 on my 32 machine?

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

you can't run 64 bit kernel on 1.1 / 2.1 Mac Pro.

unless you want to install custom bootloaders. if you don't know what I'm talking about, stay away.

7. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Booting Mac OS X with a 64-bit kernel on a MacPro1,1/2,1 is not supported by Apple, but is possible using a "Hackintosh" PC boot loader such as Chameleon. Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro on the netkas.org forum has all the information as it was figured out.

A side effect is the ability to run Mountain Lion, which is also not supported on a MacPro1,1/2,1. How I installed Mac OS 10.8 12A239 DP4 on my MacPro 1,1 on Jabbawok's blog is the closest thing to a step-by-step how-to for installing Mountain Lion on these Mac Pros.

8. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats great!! thanks for these links specially the second on.

The machine is now all fixed, now time to try the links

9. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

That's a bit selfish, this stuff is left up to help others in the future, without having to post the same thing again.

10. Jst0rm macrumors regular

I agree. I hate when people delete stuff like this or don't mention the solution to their problem even.

11. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

My OP was misleading as the terminal entry has nothing to do with why I was having problems restarting.

The post titled Got my mac pro 2,1 working with mountain lion was the OP I wanted to share.

Not meaning to be selfish just saving others misinformation as I did a silly thing that wasn't relevant.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Now we all learnt not to do silly things, so it's still helpful.