GUI Firewall frontend for 10.9.2 to control outbound?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by expat42451, Mar 8, 2014.

1. expat42451 macrumors regular

Have been recently taking a look at outbound traffic. Decided that I want a way to control it and I understand that 10.9.2 has IPFW. Unfortunately from the settings section it isn't possible to control outbound.

A web search produced a number of GUI front ends to enable outbound control. From all I am able to find, the couple of most evident programs out there- Waterroof and noobproof- do not specifically indicate that they are compatible with 10.9.2. I understand that it is possible to enable and configure outbound via CLI but before I tackle that, can anyone recommend a fronted to accomplish the same thing?

2. broadsword macrumors newbie

3. expat42451 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much. Will look into that.

What is a surprise to me is that in 10.9, some sort of outbound control isn't incorporated into the GUI firewall controls.

Regards and thanks for the recommendation

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote for little snitch, its a much more robust product that provides more access to controlling what information is flowing out of your computer

5. meme1255 macrumors 6502

If you want to use free solution, take a look on Icefloor - But LittleSnitch is better :)

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You need the donation ware WaterRoof or NoobProof.

7. expat42451 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have since my last post put IceFloor on the machine and have played with it a bit but am leaning toward Little Snitch. I also discovered that the firewall in 10.9.2 is not IPFW as it was in 10.8 (which I upgraded from).

Last 2 days have been travel days for me here in Ecuador, currently in Esmeraldas and tomorrow up to Rio Verde. I plan to go to ground there for a few days so hopefully will have time to play with Little Snitch. I still can't understand why Apple didn't include a more robust front end on the 10.9.2 firewall to enable outbound control without having to use CLI...of course CLI isn't bad-- I guess I have become lazy.....

Again many thanks

Expat