GUI-less OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Biolizard, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Biolizard macrumors 6502

I've had a look around and can't find much in the way of answers to this recently.

I've picked up a second hand Mac Mini G4 with Leopard on and want to use it as a headless file/web/whatever server, so I don't really need the GUI and with only 512MB RAM I need all the memory I can get.

Is there any way to stop Aqua from starting at boot while preserving functionality? I know of Single User Mode but it sounds like it runs in a very restrictive environment.

On the other hand, what're people's experiences with recent versions of PPC Linux distros?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wouldn't it be easier and still cheap just to throw a little more RAM in it?

4. Biolizard thread starter macrumors 6502

Could do; I was hoping to eek out more performance without spending £25 on a Gig tbh (cheapskate :p). Plus opening the Mini and keeping it intact sounds challenging, but if that's what it takes.

5. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

You could just crash the GUI by putting in a blank Extras.rsrc (with a backup, of course) That will boot you to the login: prompt :)

6. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Mac OS X hints has a good guide here. It's pretty simple.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unbuntu has a PPC version and that typically consumes less resources then OSX. You may want to look into that

9. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Ubuntu is crap when compared to other linux distros. Debain PPC FTW. Or just run OSX (server) headless. Either way, they both rock.

10. loveturtle macrumors member

The correct way to do this is quite simple. edit /etc/ttys and comment out this line
    console "/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow" vt100 on secure onoption="/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"
    then uncomment this line
    console "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600" vt100 on secure

That's it, now reboot. Make sure you boot in verbose mode or else you'll just get what looks like a blank screen. You can do that with

nvram boot-args="-v"

Odd, doesn't seem to work for me on snow leopard. they must have changed it. I'm pretty sure it works with 10.5 though, I can't quite remember the last time i did it..if it was 10.4 or 10.5. I guess you'll find out when you try!

11. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

SL has a lot of little changes but they matter, quite a bit. Try the method I linked to, that should help.

12. Biolizard thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all :)

Yes, but it's "community led", which doesn't fill me with confidence when stacked up against other distros.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm running ubuntu and I can vouch for its stability and performance. In fact they (ubuntu folks) have done a great job at banging out versions every 6 months.

Don't knock until you try it, ubuntu is quite the popular distro

14. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

I have Ubuntu from 7.10 to 9.04 and plan on getting a 9.10 dis sent, its just for a server, its crap compared to the other versions out there. You want a kick ass server? CentOS or Debian FTW. Ubuntu is a great distro for a) newbies to linux, and b) people who dont need much.

15. belvdr macrumors 603

We use RHEL, and it works fine. Ubuntu is more than just newbies. It's a great laptop/desktop OS. I'm not sure what you mean by point B. There is a ton of software out there for Ubuntu and is available by the repos.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have a right to your opinion, I'm very happy with ubuntu and given how active their discussion forums are, many people feel the same way. I'm not interested in getting into a linux pissing contest. You like centos or debian, that's great. I'm extremely happy with ubuntu.

17. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

18. belvdr macrumors 603

You can just disable the GUI, so you don't need to compile/install Darwin.. Many methods can be had by Googling this.

19. soup4you2 macrumors regular

Most Linux distros offer a PPC port in some way.

personally i would go with Debian or FreeBSD. Ubuntu is just too bloated and installs too much crap by default for my tastes.

or once OS X is booted up you can just enter

>console (be sure to include the '>')

for the username and the GUI will go away. Although i'm not sure if windowmanager stops running.