Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
Can someone recommend a good GUI Unix emulator (something like CRT+ on the Windows side)? Or does Terminal fill that bill? Basically I am looking for an interface that allows issuance of Unix/Linux commands to a remote server without having to know Unix syntax.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Diomedes said:
Can someone recommend a good GUI Unix emulator (something like CRT+ on the Windows side)? Or does Terminal fill that bill? Basically I am looking for an interface that allows issuance of Unix/Linux commands to a remote server without having to know Unix syntax.

What kind of commands are you talking about? If its simple stuff like managing users, maintaining files, and other simple admin tasks - look into webmin

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
This is the application my Unix administrators want:

http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/index.html

Vendor's description:
"SecureCRT is an extremely customizable terminal emulator for Internet and intranet use with support for Secure Shell (SSH1 and SSH2) as well as Telnet and rlogin protocols. SecureCRT is ideal for connecting to remote systems running Windows, UNIX, and VMS. Secure file transfer can be accomplished using the included VCP command-line application."

Is there a similar tool on the Mac, or does all need to be done through Terminal?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
It's not as feature rich as SecureCRT, but you can do what you want with Terminal and the "ssh" command, both of which are native to OS X.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Diomedes said:
This is the application my Unix administrators want:

http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/index.html

Vendor's description:
"SecureCRT is an extremely customizable terminal emulator for Internet and intranet use with support for Secure Shell (SSH1 and SSH2) as well as Telnet and rlogin protocols. SecureCRT is ideal for connecting to remote systems running Windows, UNIX, and VMS. Secure file transfer can be accomplished using the included VCP command-line application."

Is there a similar tool on the Mac, or does all need to be done through Terminal?
Terminal *is* the similar tool on the mac. OS X, as has been pointed out, is UNIX-based, and comes with SSH, telnet (DO NOT USE TELNET) and rlogin (well I assume OS X has rlogin...) If they are UNIX admins, tell them to just use the shell (terminal) like a real man. :D I personally don't want anyone issuing "Unix/Linux commands to a remote server without having to know Unix syntax". An admin should know what he's doing.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
panphage said:
Terminal *is* the similar tool on the mac. OS X, as has been pointed out, is UNIX-based, and comes with SSH, telnet (DO NOT USE TELNET) and rlogin (well I assume OS X has rlogin...) If they are UNIX admins, tell them to just use the shell (terminal) like a real man. :D I personally don't want anyone issuing "Unix/Linux commands to a remote server without having to know Unix syntax". An admin should know what he's doing.

LOL...well, the person who needs it is ME - the group's manager. The Unix admins get Windows. And I am not a Unix admin...I am just learning to be versed enough with it to administer sendmail.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Diomedes said:
LOL...well, the person who needs it is ME - the group's manager. The Unix admins get Windows. And I am not a Unix admin...I am just learning to be versed enough with it to administer sendmail.
Any Unix admin worth his salt would blow Windows away and install a Linux or FreeBSD distro, even if they had to come in on the weekend to do it. That's a weird situation: Unix admins can't use a *nix system to perform their function. Having been a lead Unix admin in a large shop I, personally, wouldn't stand for it. Why do you think Unix admins become Unix admins? Because they don't want to deal with M$ crap for a living. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now :).

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Diomedes said:
I am just learning to be versed enough with it to administer sendmail.

Please accept my condolences. I think you'll find it takes about 10 minutes to know enough unix to ssh and so forth right from the command line, whereas administering sendmail was actually an afterlife punishment in ancient Greek myths. You probably don't have any say, but in case you do, maybe you could get qmail (maximum security) or postfix (good security, easier to admin) instead. As a confirmed *nix weenie, I can tell you that sendmail causes more trouble than it's worth, just like BIND. :D

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
panphage said:
Please accept my condolences. I think you'll find it takes about 10 minutes to know enough unix to ssh and so forth right from the command line, whereas administering sendmail was actually an afterlife punishment in ancient Greek myths. You probably don't have any say, but in case you do, maybe you could get qmail (maximum security) or postfix (good security, easier to admin) instead. As a confirmed *nix weenie, I can tell you that sendmail causes more trouble than it's worth, just like BIND. :D
Ditto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.