[Guide] Cutting your normal SIM properly to work in iPhone 4 ?[Pictures]

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by smartpeter, Jun 25, 2010.

1. smartpeter macrumors newbie

First of all, I apologise if this thread is annoying but..
    - I've done some homework how to cut it. Those guide are not so clear in deep detail, i.e. caution, what type of SIM or connectors, etc
    - I already wasted TWO SIM which I thought they have been trimmed properly in size (but incorrect connection)
    - I have ONLY one SIM now in my iPhone 3GS and I can't destroy it again. My wish is that I wanna tryy my last chance to cut this last SIM and it works on my new iPhone 4

OK

I found that SIMs have different types of connectors (not sure what kind of those bloody classification).

Here please have a look

The O2 normal SIM on the right is my wife's SIM and I won'y do anything with her beloved SIM (She owns 3GS phone).
    On the left hand side, it's my target to be cut properly

A couple of micro SIM were alr cut and iPhone 4 did not detect anything, which kept saying 'No SIM card inserted'

[​IMG]

2. smartpeter thread starter macrumors newbie

^
    ^
    :confused:

As you can see that the my Orange SIM has 4 rows with 8 separated connection points while the others contain only 6.

Well the most published guides on the web are based on, I think, iPad micro SIM and normal phone SIM. As I iPhone 4 is quite new released, I cannot find a guide guide to follow.

Personally I think the micro SIM tray of iPhone 4 and iPad are DIFFERENT (Maybe I am wrong).

Alright let's get down to the point.

Please could you guys, who've been successfully DIY cut your normal SIM for your new iPhone 4 and worked perfectly, post your pictures of your DIY cut SIM in both..
    - naked connector surface view --> as 1st pic
    - while it's in the micro SIM tray (below/under view) --> as 2nd pic

Also you guys who have great knowledge about the SIM, please kindly share.
    What are each part of connector for (regarding the number on my SIM)?

This would be very appreciated and would be helpful for others

Many thanks in advance

P
    UK

[​IMG]

3. smartpeter thread starter macrumors newbie

4. alvy macrumors newbie

I had too your same problem and I found the solution. For the metal alignment for the left picture (labeled as iphone 4), the metal plates 1 and 4 should be very near to the left side of the tray where the serial no is written and not the alignment as shown in the picture. There should be a gap between the pair of plate 3 & 6 from the right side of the tray. Refer to this link to see how the metals plates should be aligned.
    check out the lowest right photo to see my point.
    http://www.johnbenson.net/How_to_Co..._a_SIM_to_a_MicroSIM_with_a_Meat_Cleaver.html